New LF Camera: Successful Kickstarter

This is the third 4x5 body I've seen on kickstarter (Travelwide, Intrepid, now the Chroma). All three have been successfully funded, each is different, each is cool, each has shown that there is some sort of market for 4x5 cameras.

Next, I want to see someone produce a new lens & shutter for 4x5 that won't break the bank. Yes, there are plenty of old 4x5 lenses out there; many good ones for a reasonable price - But shutter age. I'd love to see one of these companies that has figured out how make 4x5 bodies at a reasonable cost make a real lens (as opposed to pinhole) for it, and not charge the multi-body-part prices that resurrected eastern brands are charging for new old-style 35mm lenses.

Thanks for the positive comments. The Chroma is my project/campaign :0)

The history behind the camera is in the Kickstarter 'Story' but my main aim is to build a LF camera that's accessible to anyone wanting to dip their toe into the field without paying out a large chunk of cash or being concerned about buying 'old' kit. I know 'old' is a relative term in film photography (especially when I look at my camera shelf!) but there are many younger photographers interested in trying large format that maybe don't want a 'traditional' looking camera.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions if you have any. Once the Kickstarter reward cameras are all complete I'm going to be releasing my own 612 roll film and 4x5 wet plate backs for use with the Chroma camera too.

Cheers
Steve

A few years ago I bought a Shenhao with the idea of practicing with Polaroid.
It was just in time that Polaroid 4x5 were discontinued (and Fuji as well), and film started agonizing, let alone 4x5.
While I applaud and while my Shenhao stays unused over the years I don't understand introducing new gear that is so hard to use because of lack of films and labs

A few years ago I bought a Shenhao with the idea of practicing with Polaroid.
It was just in time that Polaroid 4x5 were discontinued (and Fuji as well), and film started agonizing, let alone 4x5.
While I applaud and while my Shenhao stays unused over the years I don't understand introducing new gear that is so hard to use because of lack of films and labs

Whilst Polaroid packfilm and Fuji peel apart have sadly been discontinued, there are still many 4x5 sheet film supplies available from many photography outlets. With regards to developing, I'm not sure where you are in the world but here in the UK there a number of reputable film labs still offering excellent service. I sent off a sheet of Velvia Quickload last Monday and had my developed slide back in the post on Thursday which is an excellent turnaround. On the other hand, many people still home develop (myself included).

It's a shame that you have your Shen Hao being left unused. All cameras should be given a run out from time to time :)

The history behind the camera is in the Kickstarter 'Story' but my main aim is to build a LF camera that's accessible to anyone wanting to dip their toe into the field without paying out a large chunk of cash or being concerned about buying 'old' kit. I know 'old' is a relative term in film photography (especially when I look at my camera shelf!) but there are many younger photographers interested in trying large format that maybe don't want a 'traditional' looking camera.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions if you have any. Once the Kickstarter reward cameras are all complete I'm going to be releasing my own 612 roll film and 4x5 wet plate backs for use with the Chroma camera too.

Cheers
Steve

Nice project. It is tempting to get your camera just to have it. I just don't get the opportunity to photograph as much as I want to and I anyway I have 3 4x5 cameras already.

But again, nice design, cool colors, and decent price.

Hey that just looks like a re-labeled Kiev 19!..

Sorry, force of kickstarter habit.
;)

Very cool project, and love the design.

Steve,
1 - Thanks for doing the kickstarter :)

2 - I love the idea of the 6x12 back. Will it be a DDS standard back (so those of us who don't back the Chroma for whatever reason can still buy & use it).

3 - What are the chances of you putting together an Instax Wide or Square back? There's obviously still some sort of market for large format instant film, and you have some experience with your instax TLR mod.

Steve,
I live in Italy, the photographic desert

Get in contact with ars-imago in Rome!
They will ship sheet film to you at home.
They also offer film processing and / or will send you a list of excellent labs.

And you always have the possibility to order all you need in Germany at Fotoimpex.de. They do ship to Italy, too.
Excellent sheet film processing in dip-and-dunk machines at very fair prices and shipping to Italy is offered by www.photostudio13.de .

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve.

Just a question:
Will this be a single production run, or will you to continue manufacturing this camera system after the Kickstarter units have been shipped?
So, will you offer the cameras long-term?

Steve,

Great project and congrats on making funding!

Excellent price, very cool design, love the colors!

B2 (;->

Thanks a lot Bill. I like to be a little different!

Nice project. It is tempting to get your camera just to have it. I just don't get the opportunity to photograph as much as I want to and I anyway I have 3 4x5 cameras already.

But again, nice design, cool colors, and decent price.

Thanks for the compliment. It also means a lot that you like the camera as an object even if you don't need one :)

Hey that just looks like a re-labeled Kiev 19!..

Sorry, force of kickstarter habit.
;)

Very cool project, and love the design.

Lol, it's actually a re-badged Crown Graphic but don't tell anyone :D

Steve,
1 - Thanks for doing the kickstarter :)

2 - I love the idea of the 6x12 back. Will it be a DDS standard back (so those of us who don't back the Chroma for whatever reason can still buy & use it).

3 - What are the chances of you putting together an Instax Wide or Square back? There's obviously still some sort of market for large format instant film, and you have some experience with your instax TLR mod.

Thanks, I've been genuinely surprised at how well the campaign has been received.

My original design for the back used a selection of custom integrated magnets so the back would be Chroma Specific. However, I had a bit of a brainwave earlier this morning and have re-designed the back of the Chroma to use Graflok style locking plates instead of magnets. As a result, I'll be adjusting my 612 and wet plate backs to work with the same Graflok style locking plates so they should be compatible with other systems too. I won't know for sure until I've built a physical unit with the new back so won't be updating my campaign until I know but once confirmed I'll test my new backs on existing cameras and let you know.

Thanks Steve.

Just a question:
Will this be a single production run, or will you to continue manufacturing this camera system after the Kickstarter units have been shipped?
So, will you offer the cameras long-term?

I'm currently focusing on the KS reward cameras as a priority but once they're all complete I'm intending to sell Chroma cameras and accessories direct from my website http://Chroma.Camera If you'd like to know more, you can sign up to my mailing list via the website and I send out regular email updates with progress. I've already started sketching a new dedicated 612 body as I'd love a Linhof 612 but don't have enough internal organs to pay for one!

Cheers
Steve

As to cost and availability of 4X5, cameras, lenses, film, processing, etc. one can ‘improvise’. I’m retired on a fixed income but still dabble in 4X5. It started with 6 used film holders at a garage sale for $5, and went from there.
Camera is a basket case u-build sold by Calumet in the late 70’s early 80’s. Cost me $25 at a photo show and I rebuilt it. Lens is a 130mm f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat from a gifted 1a (lens made to cover 5 inch diagonal but it works ok without any movements). I use photo paper for film. Slow? Sure, but 4X5 is slow anyway. Load and develop under safelight and cheap with minimal darkroom requirements. I’m not backing this but applaud the effort and am happy to see folks backing it.

Thank you Skiff,
I exchanged mails with ars imago long time ago.
They asked me to try their lab. But I did not wanted to take the chance after the horror stories I had with pro labs in Rome in my last days of film.
Are you saying that you recommend their service?
Anyway thank you so much for the suggestions
Best regards
Paul

I'm currently focusing on the KS reward cameras as a priority but once they're all complete I'm intending to sell Chroma cameras and accessories direct from my website http://Chroma.Camera If you'd like to know more, you can sign up to my mailing list via the website and I send out regular email updates with progress. I've already started sketching a new dedicated 612 body as I'd love a Linhof 612 but don't have enough internal organs to pay for one!

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, that is very good to hear!
I wish you a lot of success!

Thank you Skiff,
I exchanged mails with ars imago long time ago.
They asked me to try their lab. But I did not wanted to take the chance after the horror stories I had with pro labs in Rome in my last days of film.
Are you saying that you recommend their service?
Anyway thank you so much for the suggestions
Best regards
Paul

Hi Paul,
I have not used their processing service so far by myself, but I have heard from customers that they have been satiesfied.
AFAIK ars-imago has a partnership with a professional lab outside Rome.
Their film and paper distribution service is very good.

Back