New lightroom 4.4 release out on monday?

This rumor has been floating around out there for a few days now. I'm very excited at the prospect that Adobe got their sh*t together for the X-trans sensor, but won't be surprised if the new and improved RAW processing doesn't go much beyond it's current capacity. Disappointed, yes, but not surprised.

I am sure there will be a 4.4 RC tomorrow - probably for the X100s/X20, since the X100s is supposed to deliver to the US in a few weeks and is starting to trickle out in Asia.

I noticed the X100s uses an X-Trans Mark II sensor (a Mark II on the processor as well). Not sure what that means, but I guess Adobe probably couldn't just plug and play the way they did with the X-E1 (which uses the exact same architecture as the X-Pro 1).

De-mosaicing should not diverge much from the XTRANS I. The major difference is the presence of phase detection pixels for focusing on the new sensor. The math for demosaicing the image data from both sensors will be identical.

This might answer the delay, taken from FujiRumors web site:

http://www.fujirumors.com/capture-one-express-7-released/

Capture One Express 7 released
NO COMMENTS

I know you are all waiting for the Lightroom 4.4 release candidate. In response to the comments here, my source didn’t confuse the C1-express 7 version with the LR 4.4 RC. It’s just, I should have been more precise: it should be released Monday in the USA, and Tuesday in Europe (obviously because of the time difference).

In the meantime Capture One released the Express 7 version with Fuji support for €69 or $99 or download the trial version here.

thanks for the link, Albert.

dpreview (click here): “A stripped-down version of Capture One Pro, Capture One Express 7 gains features including HDR processing, lens correction and a new digital asset management tool. Express doesn’t support tethered shooting, but images can be viewed remotely and wirelessly using either the Capture Pilot iOS app or a web browser on other devices.” thanks again, MJr.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but why are they saying better X-Trans support?
From what I read Fuji gave Adobe everything they needed to be able to fully support that sensor.
Why isn't Adobe releasing a version that fully supports it?
Yet they fully support a camera like a Leica X-1 or 2 that I'm pretty sure has not sold anywhere near the amount that Fuji has.
Just my 2 cents

Lightroom 4.4 RC includes a correction to the demosaic algorithms for Fujifilm cameras with the X-Trans sensor.

A "correction." Wow. They said that in the release notes. They're not calling it an improvement. Just... wow.

OK, I downloaded it and I've developed a few X-E1 RAF files.

The big problem previously was "watercoloring" when sharpening or clarity were adjusted, especially with foliage. Adobe appear to have COMPLETELY solved the issue. BRAVO, ADOBE!

Perhaps there are other deficiencies in the new algorithm but if they are there they are subtle. Others will, I'm sure, do detailed C1P comparisons. Honestly, I think both Adobe and Phase One have cracked the problem and the differences will probably be too small to make much difference most of the time. Now Apple is the major holdout.

OK, I downloaded it. The big problem previously was "watercoloring" when sharpening or clarity were adjusted. Adobe appear to have COMPLETELY solved the issue. Perhaps there are other deficiencies in the new algorithm but if they are there they are subtle.

BRAVO ADOBE.

pretty good news..

from early samples it looks like the "cost" of this reduction in watercolour effect is some image softness in the conversion. can you confirm if that's what you're seeing semilog?

From what I see in my files, that softness is easily compensated by additional sharpening.
Adobe may have REALLY done good this time!

From what I see in my files, that softness is easily compensated by additional sharpening.
Adobe may have REALLY done good this time!

Agreed.

Judicious unsharp mask in PS to bring out micro contrast seems to do the trick.

If I get a chance I should try to play / show the file I converted last year using LR and the same file converted this evening using the most recent update. It looks good to me. . . :)

Cheers,
Dave

This update seems to have made a huge improvement in my files. They seem sharper to me, with more clarity. I can finally see the improvement made by the removal of the AA filter.

I might just keep the little guy afterall...

Back