New Lomography 110 Cameras

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
11:25 PM
lomomatic-110__quarter-open__on-grey.jpg

Lomomatic 110 Film Camera & Flash Metal​

Your passport to adventure; hit the road with the sharpest, most creative pocket-sized camera on Earth.

With a sophisticated metal body featuring a powerful glass lens, automatic exposure & advanced creative features plus a detachable flash, your 110 journey starts now!

Nice to see new 110 cameras!
Its been a very long time, possibly since the 1970's since the introduction of an advanced featured 110 camera!

"The 110 format is important to us – it’s an exciting format offering a unique shooting experience. Our mission has always been, and remains, to keep film alive. That’s why we brought the 110 format back to life in 2012 and are currently the only producer of new 110 film and cameras. The Lomomatic 110 represents our next step in 110 photography, with the production of a premium new camera that will allow photographers of all abilities and experience levels to get sharp, creative and reliable results on 110 film.

"The multi-coated glass lens, built-in flash and multi exposure option are the key features for considering it from today’s perspective. Another plus is that you get a brand-new camera straight from the production line and don’t have to hunt for a vintage one in good condition." — Analog Insights"

Shop the Lomomatic 110
https://shop.lomography.com/cameras/lomomatic-110-glass-lens-camera

Shop Lomography 110 Film
https://shop.lomography.com/film/110-film

Unboxing Video
https://youtu.be/7yY5u3ttIOs

Everything about the 110 Pocket Format
https://www.lomography.com/110-pocket-format

Unless I'm missing something, there's no new film they're announcing with this (all the films listed there have been available for quite a while). But the camera is very much new, and exciting! I just ordered the metal one. I'm sure it won't replace my Auto 110 Super, but it should be fun to play with, and I want 110 to continue to exist, so putting my money where my mouth is, as Lomography is the only company making 110 film or cameras now.

"Shoot crystal clear snaps..."? Not with Lomo film you won't. Neither tiger 200 nor orca 100 are much good, I've had better results from Tudor 200 asa colour film that expired over a decade before I used it.

In the unboxing video the person doing it unfolds a big mono photo of a surfer with a surf board, presumably we're meant the think it was done by one of these cameras using Orca 100. I can't say I believe it.

The multi-exposure facility is interesting, as is the ability to set 3 different film speeds.

"In the unboxing video the person doing it unfolds a big mono photo of a surfer with a surf board, presumably we're meant the think it was done by one of these cameras using Orca 100. I can't say I believe it.”
Why don’t you believe it? At least one of the YouTube reviewers said they had a preproduction model and their photos were in that very booklet that comes with the camera.

The more important question to me is what Lomography did to improve the shutter system. Whereas many earlier Lomography cameras were essentially “Lomo-like” with two aperture settings, and only one shutter speed plus bulb, it seems this new camera has variable shutter speeds driven by an internal light meter plus a selectable ISO setting (100, 200 or 400). None of the “reviewers” (if you can call them that) went to the trouble of figuring out all the shutter speeds available, so I can’t say for certain how many it has, but it does suggest Lomo could update their other cameras with a range of shutter speeds. Given the cost of film and processing (especially color), I’ve never liked the idea of wasting film in a camera with such limited exposure settings.

Does anybody know what emulsion the Lomography Orca is? ORWO maybe?
I don’t know for sure, but I’ve heard that it is Orwo a few places. Color Tiger is a Kodak film. I assume it’s Color Plus. The rest of their current 110 films are all the same as Lomo films sold in other formats, most if not all of which are Innoviscoat/Polaroid made films.

Why don’t you believe it? At least one of the YouTube reviewers said they had a preproduction model and their photos were in that very booklet that comes with the camera.

The more important question to me is what Lomography did to improve the shutter system. Whereas many earlier Lomography cameras were essentially “Lomo-like” with two aperture settings, and only one shutter speed plus bulb, it seems this new camera has variable shutter speeds driven by an internal light meter plus a selectable ISO setting (100, 200 or 400). None of the “reviewers” (if you can call them that) went to the trouble of figuring out all the shutter speeds available, so I can’t say for certain how many it has, but it does suggest Lomo could update their other cameras with a range of shutter speeds. Given the cost of film and processing (especially color), I’ve never liked the idea of wasting film in a camera with such limited exposure settings.
I am skeptical of the idea that the large photo that the person in the unboxing clip unfolds being made by the 110 camera and orca 100, because their idea that you can get "Crystal clear" photos from Orca 110 film considering their write up says it is "gorgeously grainy, especially when enlarged" doesn't ring true, as I don't believe you can have both, even with larger format film such as 35mm.

Neal, are my eyes going funny? The auto 110 photo seems rather less grainy than the A110 photo.

Peter, do they say if the camera has a slow speed warning? I really don't understand having such slow speeds for cameras that don't have tripod mounts.

Two comments:

1: The photo of the surfer is not especially sharp, and the grain is obvious, I see no reason to believe it'd be made with anything other than subminiature camera.

2: There are likely no discreet shutter speeds. In this sort of metering system the shutter speed simply falls wherever the meter sets it. Since you're not manually setting the speeds there's no reason for their to be discreet steps in shutter speed anyway.

I won’t be buying either of these new 110 cameras, but their significance is, in my opinion, having a range of exposure times. This sets them apart from most all of Lomo’s (and Holga’s) previous cameras that, because they only had one speed plus bulb, made them essentially toy cameras. But now, I can see Lomo adding this exposure system into other 35mm and 120 cameras. Add a true variable aperture and even with zone focus these could be viable creativity tools. I wouldn’t be surprised if the upcoming Pentax film camera were little more than what I’ve described. Wouldn’t it be a kick if Lomo beat Pentax to market? Of course, Pentax beats Lomo for “street cred” and reputation, but that could be changing.

I am skeptical of the idea that the large photo that the person in the unboxing clip unfolds being made by the 110 camera and orca 100, because their idea that you can get "Crystal clear" photos from Orca 110 film considering their write up says it is "gorgeously grainy, especially when enlarged" doesn't ring true, as I don't believe you can have both, even with larger format film such as 35mm.

Neal, are my eyes going funny? The auto 110 photo seems rather less grainy than the A110 photo.

Peter, do they say if the camera has a slow speed warning? I really don't understand having such slow speeds for cameras that don't have tripod mounts.

I don't think the variable is the camera. Underexposure is the most common way I see more grain but it could also be agitation. I use the same film and developer and tank so that rules out those variables but I have used inversion and the twirl stick for agitation over the years.

Two comments:

1: The photo of the surfer is not especially sharp, and the grain is obvious, I see no reason to believe it'd be made with anything other than subminiature camera.

2: There are likely no discreet shutter speeds. In this sort of metering system the shutter speed simply falls wherever the meter sets it. Since you're not manually setting the speeds there's no reason for their to be discreet steps in shutter speed anyway.
Maybe you're right, but if so, then that gives the lie to the new 110 camera being able to give "crystal clear photos".

Whatever the actual speeds the camera can use, if there's no slow speed indication, even if it's an "arrgghh! Too slow!" light, then how are you going to know if the speed is longer than "hand-holdable"?

Mos6502, Tiger 200 is Kodak? I've been told on this forum that Tiger 200 has a "slightly cool" cast. Has kodak ever made a film with a slight cool cast? Also, at least one of the tiger 200's I've used had a random small purple or small green patch on several frames, I'd be surprised if kodak deliberately made a film like that. Perhaps tiger 200 is, in actual fact, expired kodak film?

One could nitpick and argue that clarity and sharpness are not the same things...

In any event, I suspect the auto-exposure in the Lomomatic 110 probably functions the same way as it does in the LCA. Would be interesting to know if the Lomomatic 110 has trailing flash sync like the LCA.

I don't know what Lomography Tiger is, (I did not mention it), however, I have noticed that their 100ASA color film is made in the U.S. so it pretty much would have to be made by Kodak.

Mos6502, Tiger 200 is Kodak? I've been told on this forum that Tiger 200 has a "slightly cool" cast. Has kodak ever made a film with a slight cool cast? Also, at least one of the tiger 200's I've used had a random small purple or small green patch on several frames, I'd be surprised if kodak deliberately made a film like that. Perhaps tiger 200 is, in actual fact, expired kodak film?
I’m the one that said it’s Kodak. I’ve heard that from multiple sources over the years. I’ve never noticed a cool cast to it. It has always looked a lot like Color Plus to me.

I’ve also never had the kind of defect you noticed, but I’ve heard others complain that Lomo’s 110 backing paper isn’t perfect, and can cause light leaks on cameras with a window for the frame numbers.

Sorry mos6502, and sorry armadsen, I was trying to answer several posts in one and got a bit mixed up. In my defence, I do only have two braincells.

I wish Lomo good luck with the Lomomatic 110, and the buyers a good time using it.

I thoroughly enjoy using subminiature cameras, but 110 format is my second least favorite subminiature format (least favorite being Disc). It's simply too hard to re-spool a 110 cassette with a film of my choosing, not worth the effort to me. I've respooled many different films for Minox 8x11 and Minolta 16 use over the years, and it's easy with both of them. (It is impossible to respool Disc, aside from the too too small negative size.)

G

A 110 pocket film cassette can never be inserted exactly flat into the camera.
As with the 126 film cassette, tolerances remain that lead to blurring.
I took photos with this tiny 110 film format when the Minolta Weathermatic-A underwater camera was not yet available for 135 film.
Black and white films from Agfa at 25, 100 and 400 ISO I developed myself.
My most commonly used 110 film was Kodachrome 64 color slide film.
Paper prints should not be made larger than small postcard size.
A slide projection should not exceed the longest edge length of about one meter.
For the tiny color slides a special projector or a special wide angle projection lens is mandatory.
If you take into account the high costs of 110 film, its film development and the paper prints, including the inevitable bad shots, only nostalgic enthusiasm can justify the renewed use of this outdated photographic technology.
Every iPhone takes technically better photos.

Last edited:
A 110 pocket film cassette can never be inserted exactly flat into the camera.
Film flatness was a problem for 126, but my understanding is that Kodak addressed the problem in 110 cartridges by holding the film under tension so that it produced a consistent curve. The lenses were then formulated to that curve/buckle in the film, so the film was theoretically "flat."

- Murray

"Every iPhone takes technically better photos." That would be true of most of the vintage film cameras I shoot. But I shoot for enjoyment of the process so that's why my new iPhone is rarely used for photos but I'll happily pull out my Rollei A110 just to see what I can do with it.

Back