New M8 owner with Faulty Shutter

chuck77

Local time
10:26 AM
I happily picked up a used M8 in great condition a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, the shutter has already failed on me today.

The camera has only 1,542 shutter count on it, and the physical condition of the body is mint (indistinguishable from new) with no brassing.

I expected the shutter to last a whole lot longer, but am rather dissapointed... Is there anything I can do to try fixing it? I have already removed the battery and reinstalled it several times. The firmware is 2.014.

15299898.jpg

61783609.jpg

86455136.jpg

Thank you for the link!

However, it's quite unfortunate, because nothing I try seems to help the shutter get unstuck...

Thank you for the link!

However, it's quite unfortunate, because nothing I try seems to help the shutter get unstuck...

Sorry to hear that. It's probably off to Leica repair then... Buying a used body is always a gamble... sometimes a good buy on a slightly used body gets a little more expensive than we'd expected. I have both an M8 and M9P and recently acquired them both used. As much as I like the M9P, I find myself using the M8 more believe it or not. If and when the shutter gives up on mine (and I hope it's a very long time) I'll have the shutter replaced with the M8.2 version. I might even have the framelines done at the same time... but I'm not doing either until it needs to be done.

Please keep us posted on your repair experience.

Sorry to hear that. It's probably off to Leica repair then... Buying a used body is always a gamble... sometimes a good buy on a slightly used body gets a little more expensive than we'd expected. I have both an M8 and M9P and recently acquired them both used. As much as I like the M9P, I find myself using the M8 more believe it or not. If and when the shutter gives up on mine (and I hope it's a very long time) I'll have the shutter replaced with the M8.2 version. I might even have the framelines done at the same time... but I'm not doing either until it needs to be done.

Please keep us posted on your repair experience.

That`s interesting. Any reason you prefer the M8 over the M9P?

I am wondering now if the extremely low shutter count on mine is a culprit for the failure... seizing up from lack of use?

Leica told me to send the camera in, but I am hoping that they can help me out in some way with the bill.

It's out of warranty. I wouldn't expect too much help. It'll be nice if they do, but I wouldn't really expect it.

I like them both, a lot. I really don't know why the M8 comes out to play more often... I just like the output that the camera does. The M9P output is stunning... no argument there, but I guess I just didn't expect the M8 to be so... competent. I use the M9P more for commercial work and the M8 for doing the things I want to shoot.

Back