New M8 with Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 Ver IV...what IR cut filter?

rpavich

Established
Local time
4:06 AM
Hi,
I'm going to digital now so I chose an M8 and bought a version 4 Elmerit-M 28mm f/2.8 but now I realize that it has a thread size called "E46" and I'm confused about what that means.

Does that mean any IR cut filter that has 46mm threads will work on it or is there something more to it?

Hi,
I'm going to digital now so I chose an M8 and bought a version 4 Elmerit-M 28mm f/2.8 but now I realize that it has a thread size called "E46" and I'm confused about what that means.

Does that mean any IR cut filter that has 46mm threads will work on it or is there something more to it?

Leica used the "E" to designate screw mount filters. So yes any threaded 46mm filter will work. The used a different letter (that I can't recall at he moment) to designate slip on filters.

If using for monochrome, skip it.

For color get a 46 mm B+W from B&H. Works same as Leica ones. Without the uv/ir, synthetic material blacks may go purple and greens in nature will get a yellow cast.

UV/IR Filters

UV/IR Filters

Second that. I'd only add that leaving an IR/UV cut filter on the wider lenses is wise irrespective of whether you're anticipating color or panchromatic images (or, at least it doesn't seem to interfere with images that I've made on my M8.2 (fit with an Elmarit 28mm lens) and later converted to B+W.

Back