New Macbook

I had to laugh when I read that... No wire cutters in your part of the world? Or it's just not done? :D
It's true! The libraries I use are tightly access controlled, so leaving a computer locked up even for a few hours is no problem. At the Staatsbibliothek in Berlin you get given a pass when you go in with a computer and have to present it when you leave, at the British Library there's cameras all over the place and you get searched on leaving the reading rooms - and at both getting a readers card involves bringing lots of ID, having a proper ground for using the library etc. It'd probably be OK leaving a computer without a lock, but I don't want to tempt fate. And those all so essential trips to the cafe for yet more coffee are really annoying if you have to carry a laptop - you can't take bags inside so you have the laptop in one hand, a cup of hot liquid in the other, maybe a crossaint balanced somewhere.... If only Apple had thought of this when they made the Macbook Air ;)

At my normal university library, or indeed anywhere else, on the other hand, I'd never leave my computer unattended locked or unlocked..

Anyway, on topic, I would be wary about using a USB to firewire adaptor for a Coolscan. They are notoriously tricky about the connections - usually daisy chaining them will cause them not to work, and even connected directly to an internal firewire card they can be fussy about the chipset. You would want to at least check it works before you buy an expensive computer and expensive scanner and an adaptor you can't really use for anything else and then find out none of it works together.

Last edited:
The MacBook will be fine.
You can get a cheap adaptor from the Apple store that will allow you to connect firewire devices (such as your scanner) to your MacBook. This is NOT an issue.
I suggest that you use a fast external hard drive for your photos. Then you won't be filling your internal hard drive so quickly. They are cheap these days.
In any case, a 5400 rpm hard drive will work well.
You MacBook monitor will work well provided that you don't intend to edit more than one photo at a time.
So don't worry - you will be fine with the MacBook - no need to save for the MacBook Pro. If you save your money, use it for an external hard drive or a larger monitor, not a MacBook Pro.

Could you post a link to the adapter you are talking about? This is the first post that says anything about me having any chance at using a firewire Coolscan 9000 on the USB-only Aluminum Macbook.

The only upgrade I was planning on getting with the Macbook is 4 gigs of RAM. I am fine with using external hard-drives because when I'm at home, I planned on having the laptop closed and using it like a desktop with an external monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers.

There's one here:

http://www.usbfirewire.com/uadapters.html

though it kind of suggests its designed for camcorders. I guess there must be others. But seriously, don't go for it unless someone who actually owns this combination tells you it works or you can try it yourself. I have no idea myself, but I do own a Coolscan 8000 and I can say that Nikon specifically say that it should be connected directly to the computer (i.e. no hubs, not daisy chained) and that even when it is connected exactly as they suggest it still sometimes doesn't work.

There is a Yahoo group for owners of the 8000/9000 here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coolscan8000-9000/summary

it is probably worth asking about the USB-firwire converter there to see if anyone has experience of it.

1. Firewire. Not only will this be necessary for the Coolscan 9000 (I have one) and any other non-flatbed, it is also a much under-used and underrated protocol. For making continuous backups, Firewire is also necessary as it allows you to make bootable backups of your entire system - something not possible with USB. HardDrives SHOULD be bought with Firewire 800 and then daisy-chained to the scanner (another pro of Firewire).

3. Graphics Card: I assume you're going to be using Vuescan. And Aperture (or Lightroom). And Photoshop. At the same time. My MacBook Pro with the 9600M active struggles with this. A MacBook wouldn't have a chance.

Intel Macs can boot from USB drives now. I use SuperDuper to create bootable backups for my iMac, and I can use either a USB or FW drive. I use FW because that is what I have.

My iBook can run my Nikon 9000 & Nikon Scan with Adobe Bridge and Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom at the same time. I am not doing a lot of batch processing, but with scanning, I don't think a lot of batch processing is necessary as it might be in a digital photoshoot where exposure and lighting are going to be consistent enough to allow it.

The dual graphics cards on the newer MacBook Pros are largely for video and are overkill for dealing with static photos. Most graphics cards can handle static photos fairly easily.

As far as I can tell, the firewire issue is the only real sticking point. Damn you, Apple and your cranky port affliction!

Last edited:
I use an iMac and a white MacBook. The MacBook is plenty fast for most photo related tasks, but I wouldn't want to use it with Final Cut or anything that needs serious horsepower.

I suggest getting a used white or black MacBook with firewire. Mine was free...it was dead, someone spilled water on it. But I sent it to a shop in Brooklyn who charges zero if they can't fix it or $200 if they can. So I now have a $200 MacBook. :)

The only upgrade I was planning on getting with the Macbook is 4 gigs of RAM. I am fine with using external hard-drives because when I'm at home, I planned on having the laptop closed and using it like a desktop with an external monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers.

J, that is more or less what I am running on. I am not a high power user, but have a new Macbook, 4g RAM, with an external Monitor and speakers for when it is parked at home. I am using Photoshop Elements as my editing software, it works well having the bridge open on one screen and editor open on the other. Get a decent monitor if you are going to do editing on it. I can't get the colors correct on the one I bought.

As a student you may need more power than what I am using, but for what I do the Macbook is fine.

I agree, those adapters tend to be dodgy.

Just get an earlier MacBook, it will work fine. And a nice big monitor to go with it.

Interesting, I've never seen one of those before. I guess you have to attach the lock bracket permanently to a desk? Unfortunately for me no lock is a deal breaker, though I'm sure it doesn't bother 99% of people.

Jeremy,

My 2cents, worth all you've paid.

Adapters work some times and then other times do not. It's the same in the Windows world as it is in the Mac world. SCSI, USB, FW, it all depends very much upon a level of magic that can some times even vary depending upon versions of mother boards. I've used many different cards and adapters over the years and once I get something that works I try to not change ANYTHING. Avoid them, avoid them, avoid them. Or if you need to be very careful about making changes, something very hard to do these days with automatic OS updates.

MacBook, MBP, iMac, MacMini, MAB, so many choices, all of them good. A LOT of deciding which computer is best is dependent upon what you are doing with it, and where. I changed from a MacMini to a new PowerBook for the fact that I want to compute in bed, at the table, when I travel. I did not get a very powerful system as I do not do any processing with what I shot at the present time. While I know I have enough to power to work I know I will need to add more memory (max it out when ever you can). I wanted a robust body so I did not need to worry, so I actually got a slower processor. My wife and my kids have a firewire on their two macs so we are covered there.

From what you say I read what you really need is a KICK A55 desktop. While a laptop would be fun, what you want to do is serious image crunching stuff. For that I would look into which has the faster graphics processing chip set (memory is a big part here) between the Mini and the iMac. My gut says the iMac will win. Another part of the picture is the ease of adding a second monitor. I say this because I would use one monitor for the image and another for controls, browsers windows and all. I've love the Mac from the Mac II days because it's so easy to add second monitors. With the mini you can get an adapter to fake it out, but I think the nod goes to the iMac. I remember when I looked for a Mac for a group I was supporting about a year ago the iMac rocked for their graphics needs.

Perhaps the larger iMac would not need a second monitor it has a lot of room on that screen. I'd get a track-ball and perhaps look for a continuous feed ink system printer.

Now about buying a notebook for taking with you to show and basic work (not high end image processing, say word processing) I would hold off for a few months. Apple just released the beta version of the iTouch/iPhone OS 3.0. It looks very interesting if they were to come out with say a somewhat larger pad. Say the size you see the crew of the NCC-1701-D walking around with. I just have a feeling that Apple might do to the NetBook what they did to the MP-3 players a few years back. There are already a lot of applications out there and even more on the way. It might be this summer some time, just in time for the incoming class for next years college students. While the price will be higher than the other NetBooks (my guess is around $550 USD) the application prices and volume will slam the door shut on another market. Now this is not based upon any inside information, just a guess. Somewhat tea leave reading based upon a few years inside and lots of years watching. I'd be happy with a larger screen for showing my shots on and in a perfect world an attachment to a VGA output to attach to a projector.

Beware, your mileage will vary.

B2 (;->

After researching the Firewire-only Coolscan 9000 and USB-only Aluminum Macbook problem, I am pretty sure that it is completely impossible to use them together. I'm also pretty sure that I don't want to switch to another film scanner so that leaves me with either a worse Whitle/Black Macbook, or a more expensive Macbook Pro.

I am also starting to consider a desktop because I found out that I could get an iMac with 24-inch display and a mouse/keyboard that absolutely blows away the Aluminum Macbook for $100 more which is extremely tempting. I'm just not sure how necessary the portability of a laptop will be in college for me.

I don't understand a lot about Firewire or USB and the only thing I'm wondering about is why Apple left out Firewire in their Aluminum Macbooks. Is Firewire going to become obsolete as USB advances? Eventually will all Macs come without Firewire causing me to throw away my Coolscan 9000?

Last edited:
What an interesting thread. As many opposing opinions as a joint Democrat/Republican convention.

Apple needed to cut back somewhere for size and cost. USB 2.0 is just about everywhere these days and while not as functional as FireWire (IEEE 1394) it works well for the majority of the folks out there. Notebooks are not really focused on power graphics users. The high end chips pull too much power and put out too much heat for your lap. That is unless you want to over heat your .......... parts.

Depending upon what software your college uses, pick up the same and if need be a PC VM system (fusion is my favorite) and bring your stuff around on a iPod or flash drive.

I think you will be much better served to hang loose on the notebook. I really think netbooks will be a better choice for the vast majority of folks in a year or two. While I love my MacBook, if you added in the ability to remote control a Mac from a NetBook I would be fat dumb and a lot lighter walking down the street.

B2 (;->

Don't forget those Libertarians and perhaps the Brother John Bearch Society......

While I used to think that a few of the Republicans in Greece did some funky stuff, the Democrats in Cook County make them look like a bunch of 3 year olds on the play ground.

B2 (;->

Jeremy–

Look into refurbished laptops...
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw
And if you buy new, make sure to shop through the education store, as you'll save $100 or so, depending on the model.

Anyway, never buy memory from apple. Get the computer with the base configuration and buy from crucial or owc (http://eshop.macsales.com/). You'll save a bunch.

I think you'll appreciate the laptop in college, for sure... but if you can get a lot more mileage out of an imac, then go for that. I use a desktop and my old 12" g4 powerbook (which they will have to pry out of my cold, dead hands...) in tandem.

By the way... Doesn't your mac mini have firewire? So couldn't you just use that with the Nikon, and then move the scans over to the MacBook? I don't expect you'll be carting that 9000 around with you most places...!

And... maybe your college will have a good scanner and computer lab.

I have been standing in front of similar decision and choosed new white MacBook (because it's more portable than Pro). BUT if you consider using any portable for serious photo editing, you need good large screen. My choice was driven by the fact that I'd already owned a 20" Cinema Display. I used PowerBook 12" previously, now MacBook 13" with Firewire and updated video card, and I was not able to calibrate those small displays to the closer range of Cinema Display. As far the glossy screen, I was advised to try 3M Vikuiti anti-glare foil and it works quite good (not as good as non-glossy screen, but still helpful).

If you're going for a new machine, I say hang the laptop for now and go for the big iMac: FireWire will be there, and much more bang-for-the-buck in terms of performance.

Completely agree. For Price/Performance/Spec, you still can't beat an iMac.

I have been standing in front of similar decision and choosed new white MacBook (because it's more portable than Pro).

Don't confuse size and weight: my girlfriend has always had MacBooks (well, now she's got a MacBook Air), while I've always had the Pro. While her white MacBook was smaller than my (old, non-unibody) MacBook Pro
it was at least as heavy...

The only difference between the white Macbook and Aluminum Macbook in terms of performance is that the White would come with 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM and the Aluminum comes with 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM.

Back