New nice pinhole cameras from ONDU

Nice shot Ezzie, I love the wide stuff. How close were you to the poles in the middle?

In the above shots of the Sprocket Rocket and M3, I literally had the pinhole maybe an 1" from the camera.

This shot was with spools that are near or literally touching the camera. The one to the right was touching it.

120 Film Spool Experiments by alienmeatsack, on Flickr

My next roll will be outside of landscapes and trees and such. I want to see how it does in my typical type of shots. And in full color, I've not done full color yet.

3-4ft maybe. They stick 3ft up above the snow, and are a bit thicker than your regular fence post.
Double spool winding is the same approach as I am applying to me second roll. Feeding with one whilst winding the other.

I'm curious if anyone has tried open-spooling their ONDU 135 yet. I had considered trying it for the experience but have not yet given it a whirl.

I think the body is light tight enough that you could use the technique. All you would need is a take up spool that is designed for this purpose, having the little slot or holder and possibly a sprocket hole spur. Any factory cassette would technically work, some having a spur to grab the film, some you'd have to tape. I usually keep a piece of blue painters masking tape on my bodies and a small roll with my camera bag anyway for taping as needed so it wouldn't be that difficult to do either way.

I actually was inspired to try by the Smena 8M which can use it's own take up spool or a take up cassette that is reversed like the one for the ONDU.

If the body isn't completely leak free, it could provide some interesting leaks and such. I think the only area I'd really be concerned about light leaking is actually from the frame mask area itself since there is no felt or similar to keep the film itself on the takeup spool from getting exposed when you are exposing a shot.

I may have to give this a whirl when I go out shooting with it next. Just to see what happens. :D

Just checking in here. I have not run any film through my ONDU yet, so can't add or subtract from the scratches issue. That's a no-news comment but wanted to stay in touch.

Back