New pack film? Supersense One Instant

Pál_K

Cameras. I has it.
Local time
12:17 PM
Just found this website, where apparently these people are hand-manufacturing instant pack film for Polaroid 100-series cameras:

https://supersense.com/oneinstant/

Has anyone tried this? Looking at their gallery, it seems that some emulsion defects are inherent to the product.

Even so - it actually is pack film.

I participated in the kickstarter and I received my batch of colour films two and a half years ago. It took a year before I shot those films, so they might have turned out better when fresh. I have not purchased any since, and I have not tried the B&W films. Here's an example of the colour film, it's actually better in real life than this scan.

med_U73354.1671028580.0.jpg

So it seems there are these emulsion artifacts - defects really - but it doesn’t seem too serious.

Yes, about US$17 per shot. That’s expensive, but I love pack film so much and it would be sad for me to have my beloved pack film cameras be forever unused while they’re in my possession. I could buy a little bit every year. To me it’s worth it to support them a little bit just because they had the courage to recreate it for others.

This is handmade pack film - if they wanted to be entrepreneurial about it, they could probably have it made in China for much less. I’ve always thought China would offer the best chance for a resurgence of pack film and (whimsically) the Kodachrome K-14 process.

I still have 18 FP-100C and 18 FP-3000B boxes. I bought them when they were under $20 - some at only $8. I read an article recently which has made a strong argument and convinced me to stop saving them. For anyone like me who is saving this film, here is the article link below. Be sure to read the penultimate (next to last) paragraph!

https://casualphotophile.com/2022/11...c-instax-wide/

“I implore anyone reading this who has an abundance of pack film stored away in their freezer to do one simple thing…”

Yes, about US$17 per shot. That’s expensive, but I love pack film so much and it would be sad for me to have my beloved pack film cameras be forever unused while they’re in my possession. I could buy a little bit every year. To me it’s worth it to support them a little bit just because they had the courage to recreate it for others.
​​​​​​….

I still have 18 FP-100C and 18 FP-3000B boxes. I bought them when they were under $20 - some at only $8. I read an article recently which has made a strong argument and convinced me to stop saving them. For anyone like me who is saving this film, here is the article link below. Be sure to read the penultimate (next to last) paragraph!

https://casualphotophile.com/2022/11...c-instax-wide/

“I implore anyone reading this who has an abundance of pack film stored away in their freezer to do one simple thing…”

I understand your feelings about pack film and agree what you wrote.
You and the linked article are correct: we, I first should shoot the packs we have stored somewhere,

I ll do it soon, after I’ll have cleaned my 340 !

One thing I’ve wondered about is when Fuji announced the discontinuation of their last pack film, FP-100C, whether they’d already dismantled or destroyed the machinery for it.

Florian Kaps met with Fuji to save it,

https://pdnonline.com/gear/film/florian-kaps-profile/

but I wonder if it was already too late and the plant was essentially gone.

At that time, on another forum, someone wrote that “it would not be in the Japanese psyche” to offer that equipment to an outsider - that once they made the decision to abandon it, then not only do they stop making the film, but nobody else gets a chance either. I don’t know how true that is (if at all). I will always wonder if Fuji would’ve changed their mind if they realized just how much more money people were willing to pay for it.

The "pdonline" link you provided is from 2019. From memory, when Kaps met with the Fuji brass, the equipment used to make FP-100C was already long gone. The Fuji guys just met Kaps as a formality. Fuji would rather everybody buy their Instax cameras and film.

Jim B.

Back