New R-D1 owner

Hey guys

Great to se so many replies! :)

Regarding the battery meter, it's not that it is a little off, it's completely out of whack. :) when the battery is full, it goes to the middle of the scale, and when I turn off the camera it goes all the way down until it hits the side of the circular thing that holds the needles. It's not a huge issue, it seems to work, it's just like as if it's way out.

Regarding the misalignment, when I got home yesterday I was looking a bit closer, and I found that the double image shifts slightly up and down depending on if I'm looking straight into the finder (I suspect this is normal though). But it seemed to me as if it was slightly too high. So what to do, I tore off the foot shoe and adjusted a bit and it seemed to get better. I'll try it outside in daylight today.

Regarding any actual focus issue I'll look closer at that today, it could just be that the lens is soft wide open like some of you say. If that is the case (I've looked quickly at some test snaps only) and it is indeed just a soft lens, then off it goes and I'll get something sharper. Might sound ridiculous to some, but I really dislike that wide open softness glow. I know the nokton has it, the question is if it is more than I expected.

I will test a bit today and might come back with some test shots. :) maybe I'm just too anal about it, but as I've had focus issues with other lenses before I can help but getting a bit stuck on that. I need to check it for peace of mind. :) over all though I'm already loving the camera, and I think I got lucky because I suspect the seller was in bad need of the money. Either way I, happy with the deal so far.

Kenny

kenny....maybe the battery is at the end of its life and it isn't the indicator?? A new battery may solve the problem. You can find the correct size of battery made by Fuji and the third party Wasabi too by the way for considerably cheaper. Just a thought. My Epson seems to go through batteries quickly.

the biggest pita concerning the rd1 is how it eats batteries...i have about 8 extras, all lenmar brand...of all the ones that i have tried they seem the best.

From what I've read online I understand the battery life is quite ****, and I did go through two batteries yesterday. But the issue with the battery needle isn't anything like that.

What I was trying to describe is that it's like the whole needle is rotated quite a bit, so that the scale goes from the lower edge of the circular area that holds all the needles, up to the middle of the battery meter. So what I mean is that it seems to work finne technically, it's just that instead of moving between full and empty, it moves between half full all the way down past empty and the little arrow until it hits the edge and stops. :)

I have also considered new batteries though, but I don't think that is the issue in this specific case as they all behave exactly the same. It doesn't seem to affect camera operation in any way, it's more of a cosmetic issue.

Yes, I don't think kennylovrin is calibrating the needles correctly.

I've tried calibrating it just like the instructions says, it's not like I can't read an instruction. :) However, it only allows me to calibrate it very slightly so it doesn't come nowhere close to the "E". I read that the trick is to turn the camera off and do the calibration several times, but it just seems the calibration doesn't stick at all and it just goes back to where it was when I start the camera again.

It's worth noting that I haven't spent too much time on the issue yet as I've been more interested in trying the camera out, so I will look into it more in detail later today and see how close I can get it to the correct calibration.

I've tried calibrating it just like the instructions says, it's not like I can't read an instruction. :) However, it only allows me to calibrate it very slightly so it doesn't come nowhere close to the "E". I read that the trick is to turn the camera off and do the calibration several times, but it just seems the calibration doesn't stick at all and it just goes back to where it was when I start the camera again.

It's worth noting that I haven't spent too much time on the issue yet as I've been more interested in trying the camera out, so I will look into it more in detail later today and see how close I can get it to the correct calibration.

My calibration has stuck and its been at least a week and a half of daily use. It could be an issue if you see it reseting back to where it was pre-calibration very quickly. Since it doesnt affect the camera's operational performance, i would use the camera as you are doing to see if you really fall for the camera and want to keep it. Then you may just consider spending the couple hundred to get it CLA'd from EPSON...and if u are really in love with it spending the $500ish and getting a brand new sensor + CLA...though you'd have to ask othrs if you can request that even if the sensor is fine (thats what i heard it cost about...a deal if you compare to leica :p)

Hi, great camera!

Th onerface is far better than the digital m´s.

Have to say when i purchased my rd1s a few yaeras ago it came with two alternative batteries, when plugged one of those it blew away!

After that episode i bought a pair of OEM from matsuiya store, 64 usd each one, more expensive but....

Once i was taking some snaps in a rock concert just a metres away from the musicians...the place was crowded with reporters and pro photogs, suddenly i felt an extrange feeling and turned around....there was at least 10 or 12 photogs with their huge dslrs looking at me and my rd1s!!!
It was hilarous....

Cheers!

I'm loving the camera after owning it for just one weekend! However, it has apparent front focus issues and that isn't acceptable for my use. Obviously I don't know if it is the lens or the camera that is the problem here as have only one lens. But I've taken the decision anyway to send it off to Epson Japan to have it calibrated and have general tuneup (battery meter and rubber etc) as I've read good things about their service. I figured as I like the camera I might as well do it, especially before I really get used to using it frequently.

It does suck though having to send off your new toy for a month. ;)

Back