New RFF Under Construction - take a look

Thanks Godfrey for the suggestion - only problem is that I simply cannot find the filter button you mention

Hmm:

51643266095_03049ffb2c_c.jpg

Look on the right, I circled it. Perhaps the word button is imprecise, but I don't know what else to call controls like this.

G

What do the bars that light up in orange signify? They remind me of the power level display on some audio power amps, or the sound level indicator on some VU meters.

Curious as to why one can sort by the parameters "date", "username", "views", and "likes", but "random" does not seem to work
(at least not on my system).

One small request for you list: In the Dark 2 theme, on the Home page Most Recent list, the button to link to the last post is the same color as the theme background, so you don't see it. Thank you.

John

What do the bars that light up in orange signify? They remind me of the power level display on some audio power amps, or the sound level indicator on some VU meters.

Those orange bars are the “Flux Capacitor Gigawatts Graphic Display Module”. When all the bars turn orange you get to go back in time and tell your younger self to buy all the rangefinder camera gear you can while it’s still reasonably priced and readily available.

Note: be careful how you deal with yourself, you don’t want to mess with the time travel temporal paradox (or something like that). :)

All the best,
Mike

Those orange bars are the “Flux Capacitor Gigawatts Graphic Display Module”. When all the bars turn orange you get to go back in time and tell your younger self to buy all the rangefinder camera gear you can while it’s still reasonably priced and readily available.

Note: be careful how you deal with yourself, you don’t want to mess with the time travel temporal paradox (or something like that). :)

All the best,
Mike

Right, that clears it up!

I am no longer seeing the multi-quote button. I also miss the button that took you right to the last page of a long multi-page thread. Will those be returning?

I am no longer seeing the multi-quote button. I also miss the button that took you right to the last page of a long multi-page thread. Will those be returning?

Technically the latter is already there; if the topic has many, many pages, the page selection buttons at the bottom of the topic (below the last visible post) will always show the first and last page to make it easy to go to the start or end of the topic.

The new layout could probably do with a "go to last page" button at the top of each multi-page topic, though. It's not hard to jump to the bottom of a page quickly on desktop (CMD+Down does it on every Mac browser I've ever used), but it's a pain in the ass replicating that on mobile.

Technically the latter is already there; if the topic has many, many pages, the page selection buttons at the bottom of the topic (below the last visible post) will always show the first and last page to make it easy to go to the start or end of the topic.

The new layout could probably do with a "go to last page" button at the top of each multi-page topic, though. It's not hard to jump to the bottom of a page quickly on desktop (CMD+Down does it on every Mac browser I've ever used), but it's a pain in the ass replicating that on mobile.

Hmm. I look at threads I'm already participating in my using the Notifications search tool at at the top of the page. When I click on one of the links it brings up, the page opens and auto-scrolls to the latest post I haven't read ... this is just about the best behavior as far as I'm concerned. When I open new threads, I want to at least skim through the posts made on them before adding more, and if I decide I want to add more, I subscribe so it falls back into the Notifications model. It's rare I open a new thread and want to scroll to the last post made on it.

G

Hmm. I look at threads I'm already participating in my using the Notifications search tool at at the top of the page. When I click on one of the links it brings up, the page opens and auto-scrolls to the latest post I haven't read ... this is just about the best behavior as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I rarely click on any topic without clicking on the double-down-arrow-in-a-circle to the left of the topic title, which functions the same way. It snaps you straight to the first unread post, which is exactly how a forum should work, in my eyes.

All in all, the new RFF actually functions pretty well - it's just different, and I think that's the real sticking point. Almost all the bugs seem to be ironed out, but most of the complaints are basically "I've done X this way for 10 years, why can't I do it that way now?", which is just a bit depressing, to be honest.

Although, that said, my only bugbear is that there's no way to mark all forums/posts as read under the "new topics" link at the top of each post - you have to go to https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forum, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click "Mark Channels Read" to stop topics you're not interested in from clogging up the new topics page as the weeks go on. But as far as problems go, that's a fairly minor inconvenience!

Maybe an obvious answer, but for the life of me I can not figure out how to post a photo in W/NoW or any thread without it appearing as a tiny thumbnail. I can share photos on the Gallery, but when I copy them over to a thread they are tiny. I see others both nicely sized and small like my efforts. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Yes, what are they? I came to this thread specifically for that question. Also, every post seems to have a highlighted “Like” button, which I’m sure is there for me to click, but I’m puzzled as to why every post I’ve seen on this site in the past two weeks has 0 likes. Must be a tough crowd.

Personally, I rarely click on any topic without clicking on the double-down-arrow-in-a-circle to the left of the topic title, which functions the same way. It snaps you straight to the first unread post, which is exactly how a forum should work, in my eyes....

Thanks for the tip. Hadn't noticed that function.

The button on the right, after how old the last post is, does the same thing, but it does not disappear after the thread is viewed. That's what I use. Unfortunately, in the Dark 2 theme, which I prefer, both buttons are same color as the background, so you don't see them.

John

Not sure whether this is the right place to post, but my classified messages have disappeared. It ow redirects to the messages here, but all recent correspondence is gone.

So... if you were one of those messaging me about my Pentax 67 ii, please re-send?

Back