New Sony A7II with 5 Axis Stabilization Announced

Why should Sony improve the use of any adapted lens to their bodies when that option competes with their lenses?

Because they won't be able to stop people from using their bodies with legacy lenses.

Maybe a good strategy for them is to select some very popular legacy lenses and release line of reasonably-priced adapters that are tuned to those lenses. I bet this will sell like hotcakes in winter.

This is really the crux issue for many of us. The A7 series is breeding all sorts of various versions which specialize in particular tricks, like the A7s. Now we have IBIS, which might be very nice with the long glass, really "as is", though the body is now bigger and heavier.

At this point one has to ask: why no love for the legacy and M crowd, who are largely responsible for the overall buzz surrounding the E-mount, since inception in the Nex series? When asked about the lens ecosystem, sony reps often cry: "oh, use what you like", and this would be wonderful had the design not been hamstrung by the thick sensor covering.

It appears this has not been addressed by the A7m2. The result is that while many lenses can be bolted on the A7 series, few or none perform optimally 35 and wider. Even the native 35 has some issues.The FE2470 has been a disappointment. The 1635 is apparently pretty good, but only the 55 can propel the system into the top tier today. But even that lens is marred by lack of infinity stop and really poor MF ergonomics: the focus ring is not very nice. My E-mount cameras work just fine with wide angle lenses made for SLRs; that's what I have, for the most part, and that's what I use.

I've learned these things the hard way, and my A7 is simply a backup and macro/135+ rig. In both of those situations IBIS would be nice. I'm also curious how the 28/2 FE will be, and the wait has been too long for that one. Some counter that the A mount lenses make for a large ecosystem. Too "large" for me.

Add to these issues the Sony "RAWS", which, in LR, are terribly Lossy, a shadow of a the M9 dngs.

The A7 has been a huge step forward for legacy glass lovers, but simply not optimized, sad to say. Sony's biggest favor to my own photography has been to force my hand and get a M9, which I did last Jan, and 9 months later I'm completely smitten with both results and shooting experience, despite that rig's own list of quirks and less than optimal aspects.

Nevertheless we are seeing spectacular images produced with all the A7 series everyday by a plethora of great shooters. So TYG for Sony :)

Does it make sense that anyone would expect, or demand, that manufacturers of mirrorless cameras optimize their sensors for the use of rangefinder (short register) wide angle lenses below, say, 20mm in focal length?

Because they won't be able to stop people from using their bodies with legacy lenses.

Maybe a good strategy for them is to select some very popular legacy lenses and release line of reasonably-priced adapters that are tuned to those lenses. I bet this will sell like hotcakes in winter.

I don't know how you can make an 'adapter' that tunes a body (sensor, actually) for lenses without including optics in the adapter or firmware to do corrections on the data.

Ricoh has done the best job of this with the GXR and the A12 Camera Mount. it took specialized tuning of the sensor and its optical stack to make as many lenses as possible very compatible with the camera.

G

Sony should cut off the bumop in the middle of the A7 and move it to the correct side. That would really be an upgrade :D

On page 1 I listed the high-quality lenses currently selling. There are 11 lenses selling or announced. Not a lot yet (Fuji has 18) but still more then "what lenses".....

On page 1 I listed the high-quality lenses currently selling. There are 11 lenses selling or announced. Not a lot yet (Fuji has 18) but still more then "what lenses".....

I guess "high quality" is a relative term... And while I have high hopes for lenses than have been announced (especially the FE 28/2.0), I'll reserve my judgment until after they become available and people actually use them.

That's a Sony problem. And the problem I'd have if I were shooting with one of their bodies and wanted a matched lens with an aperture faster than 2.0. Does Sony even have something that fast on their lens forecast?

There is a 55mm F1.8. A 35mm F1.4 is set to arrive next March.

There is a 55mm F1.8. A 35mm F1.4 is set to arrive next March.

Thus far, the 55/1.8 is the only FE lens I have and use it on my A7R. Once the FE 28/2.0 hits the market, I'll wait for the early adopters to try it out and if it proves to be as good as the 55/1.8 and assuming the price is right, then I will likely pick one up.

I think I'm gonna wait for the A7S II, if the 5-axis stabilization is integrated. Would love 4k video recording internally, as well as a solid 12mp camera with super low light performance. I don't think I'll ever need more than 12-18mp, but I'm mainly a film shooter, so my D700 has always suited my needs...

Why should Sony improve the use of any adapted lens to their bodies when that option competes with their lenses?
Canikon speak. Contrary to popular belief, there is much more money for sony today in camera bodies than in lenses, of which they have far too few.

A versatile tool is a valuable one. I certainly have no interest in another Sony body with the current sensor design, stabilized or not, and when a competitor eventually take the simple step of improving compatibility with compact RF glass, many will jump ship.

There's an outside chance the A9 or one variant will seize this obvious and very very noisy niche.

It's only a matter of time before someone does.

Once the FE 28/2.0 hits the market, I'll wait for the early adopters to try it out and if it proves to be as good as the 55/1.8 and assuming the price is right, then I will likely pick one up.

I wouldn't count on it being as good... it's a sony lens and not zeiss.

The Zeiss name doesn't make it good - there are several Zeiss branded lenses that are good but not THAT good. The Sony 35/1.8 OSS is (almost) as good as the Zeiss 32/1.8 but ads better AF and image stabilisation for less money. If the Sony 28/2 is anything like that, it will be a good lens, and if it is anything like the old Minolta 28/2 it will be magic!

I get that, but the 55 1.8 and the 35 2.8 are excellent lenses, especially the 55mm. It is top notch. I just don't see the 28mm matching that. He said "if it proves to be as good as the 55/1.8 and assuming the price is right, then I will likely pick one up." I'm thinking that's going to be hard to match (especially for a Sony 28mm).

Back