New to me E-PL1, first day.

Ko.Fe.

Lenses 35/21 Gears 46/20
Local time
2:17 PM
15 f8 pancake was purchased while ago, so was EV-1. Yesterday E-PL1 arrived from Japan. I took it as my everyday, everywhere camera with me today.

ISO 3200. Fine for me.
48796466766_f183f2081d_o.jpg

15mm f8 at 0.3m setting.
48796466591_4c7f6f0e75_o.jpg

Film grain mode.
48796610217_d0a9933d23_o.jpg

48796112553_db578f0ae6_o.jpg

48796466671_432d421eb8_o.jpg

48796112613_6d896c1298_o.jpg

Another ISO3200. SOOC. All NR is off.
48796610377_d482795d9f_o.jpg

With flash.
48796112688_0dd3e3f6cd_o.jpg

I printed this one above. Fine. :) Color taken in RAW.

The only issue so far with E-PL1 is not keeping day/time after battery recharge.
Lens, VF and camera costed me under 200$. Lens was new.

The only issue so far with E-PL1 is not keeping day/time after battery recharge.
Lens, VF and camera costed me under 200$. Lens was new.

Yes, I have two E-PL1s and they both lose the date/time on a battery change. Internal capacitor issue, I guess. I still very much enjoy the image quality and handling, so I just hit 'okay' and get on with it...

Colours from OM digital are one of the best. Not film, but somehow they are pleasing.

The 'antique' Epson R-D1, s and x are the ultimate color busters with a film-like appeal -and you can use your m-mount lenses. But then I looked on Ebay, only to find that the prices are going through the roof. Perhaps this is a good alternative at a much lower price point.

That 15mm f8 was criticized when it first came out but you your sample shots seem fine to me. Sounds like a real compact ‘take anywhere’ combo.

The 'antique' Epson R-D1, s and x are the ultimate color busters with a film-like appeal -and you can use your m-mount lenses. But then I looked on Ebay, only to find that the prices are going through the roof. Perhaps this is a good alternative at a much lower price point.

The age of its sensor shows its limit. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but lack of dynamic range comes to my mind. M9 is still better sensor, IMO.

That 15mm f8 was criticized when it first came out but you your sample shots seem fine to me. Sounds like a real compact ‘take anywhere’ combo.

I have seen mixed reviews for this lens on BH. The reason why I purchased it is simple. For the lens and for the camera I was convinced by this photog:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128973638@N05/albums/72157651918160084

My first was the E-PL5, really liked but when they brought out the Pen F was had to have one. Gave the 5 to my grandson, he was pleased with size and photos also. Gas from reading about adapters and old manual lens opened up a whole new world for me to play.

Good luck with your Olympus, enjoy.

David

Back in the early/mid 70’s I carried a little Oly Pen viewfinder half frame everywhere. Loaded with Tri-X it was always handy. (In fact, I still have two of those.)
I think this is sort of the digital equivalent, but a little smaller and lighter with a wider angle of view.

Edit; This was the original Pen, fully manual with adjustable shutter, aperture and focus.
Never cared for the later, fixed focus Pen EE, although some photographers have done good work with them.

Back in the early/mid 70’s I carried a little Oly Pen viewfinder half frame everywhere. Loaded with Tri-X it was always handy. (In fact, I still have two of those.)
I think this is sort of the digital equivalent, but a little smaller and lighter with a wider angle of view.

Edit; This was the original Pen, fully manual with adjustable shutter, aperture and focus.
Never cared for the later, fixed focus Pen EE, although some photographers have done good work with them.

It reminds me how we replaced FSU cameras with simple P&S with fixed focus. Once it became available in nineties.
I was watching MFT cameras for sometime on ebay and once it become well under 100$ for used but not abused, I snatched.

So, 15mm f8 and E-PL1 allowed me to enter MFT with wide angle at very low price.
My next little project is to get not expensive AF zoom pancake lens to see if I could replace EOS DSLRs. As much as I like its L lenses, the size and weight of EOS + L kit become next to unbearable after ten years. My wife just doesn't want to use it. Two days ago I went on the street with Canon 5D MKII and 16-35 f2.8 L and it was not comfortable. Just too much weight and bulk now.

Thank you both.

I’d rather spend some not so big money on couple M43 lenses and if it works well get fresher body for indoors, to replace DSLR.

It reminds me how we replaced FSU cameras with simple P&S with fixed focus. Once it became available in nineties.
I was watching MFT cameras for sometime on ebay and once it become well under 100$ for used but not abused, I snatched.

So, 15mm f8 and E-PL1 allowed me to enter MFT with wide angle at very low price.
My next little project is to get not expensive AF zoom pancake lens to see if I could replace EOS DSLRs. As much as I like its L lenses, the size and weight of EOS + L kit become next to unbearable after ten years. My wife just doesn't want to use it. Two days ago I went on the street with Canon 5D MKII and 16-35 f2.8 L and it was not comfortable. Just too much weight and bulk now.

As long as you don’t mind loosing manual focus, the Panasonic 12-32 is tiny, cheap and gives great results

As long as you don’t mind loosing manual focus, the Panasonic 12-32 is tiny, cheap and gives great results

I'm more after Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ.
14, been 28mm equivalent is enough for me and my wife finds the use for the other end.
Plus, it is OM for OM.

I love using my E-PL1 and E-P2 cameras. I set color options to "natural", and the colors come out very beautiful. I mainly use with these cameras the Panasonic Summilux 25/1.4 and an SLR 50mm/1.4 lens. I bought the E-PL1 new with Olympus zoom for $150.

I'm more after Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ.
14, been 28mm equivalent is enough for me and my wife finds the use for the other end.
Plus, it is OM for OM.

Keep in mind that's an electronic zoom, that may/may not bother you. Personally I prefer manual zooms, hence the Panny 12-32

Keep in mind that's an electronic zoom, that may/may not bother you. Personally I prefer manual zooms, hence the Panny 12-32

Good to know!
I'm just trying to keep it as low budget as possible.
Ordered new 14-42 re-branded from Panasonic pancake lens for 100$.

Back