New toy: C-4... how to clean RF / VF optics?

Luddite Frank

Well-known
Local time
9:48 PM
My "new" Argus C-4 arrived today, complete with period brown leather kit bag, instruction book, Tower selenium meter, yellow and orange filters and a Kodak series - type filter adapter ( VI, I think ).

The camera seems to function fine in all aspects, glass is clear and fungus-free.

At this point, aside from general wiping-down, the only think I would like to do is clean the smutz off the VF/RF Optics.

I had the top cover off this evening, and blew the loose dust out with canned-air, and was able to clean the outside surfaces of the Eye-piece, VF window, and RF window in the center of the focusing wheel.

I need to get at the inner surfaces of the above lenses, but don't want to disturb any of the mirrors... are these lens cemented in-place?

As for the mirrors themselves, I assume they should not be touched at all ?
( "No" or "Yes" , and if "yes", how-to ? )

It's certainly usable as-is, just want to get rid of some pesky smudges.

In another C-4 thread, someone commented that the shutter in the C-4 is noisy, sounding something like a child's spring-loaded toy being suddenly released...

On the slow speeds, like 1/10 or 1/25, mine kind of sounds like Donald Duck sneezing. :rolleyes:

Hi. I found that the people at Argus Collectors Group are not only knowledgeable regarding the C3, but the have always been very helpful. Contact AGC Group on Yahoo. Let us know how you do.

Ciao!
David

Back