http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/vm-mount/vm-35mm1_2/index.html

Focal length: 35mm
Aperture ratio: 1: 1.2
Minimum aperture: F22
Lens construction: 9 elements in 7 groups
Angle of view: 61.53 °
Number of aperture blades: 12
Minimum focusing distance: 0.5m
Rangefinder coupled: ∞ to 0.7m (depending on camera)
Maximum diameter x Overall length: 60.8 x 50.5mm
Filter size : 52mm
Weight: 332g
Lens hood: Bayonet type (sold separately: LH-8)

Suggested retail price: 135,000 yen (excluding tax)
Optional hood (LH-8) Suggested retail price: 12,000 yen (excluding tax)

Much smaller and lighter than the previous versions while promising the same level of optical quality, which will be very welcomed.
Mounted on the camera:
11_l.jpg

12_l.jpg

This is a very nice update from Cosina, the new version weights 332g, which is pretty close to the Summilux FLE (320g). The size is still a bit larger(60.8 x 50.5mm VM vs 56 x 46 Lux FLE) but should be much more manageable than before.

Interesting update to this lens. 20% length reduction, 30% weight reduction. I wonder what will be next from them in 35mm? After their announcement of the new 21mm f1.4 Nokton with floating elements, I was wondering if they will put floating elements in a fast 35mm...

Cosina continuing to release excellent, practical VM mount lenses that regular people can afford is great. Keep up the good work Cosina.

Interesting update to this lens. 20% length reduction, 30% weight reduction. I wonder what will be next from them in 35mm?
I think the 35mm lineup is complete now, 35/1.2 III 35/1.4 II, 35/1.7, 35/2 and there is the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 for those who are willing to pay for no distortion with floating elements.
It will be a long time before we see yet another 35mm lens from them, 24mm, 28mm or 50mm are more likely choices.

I think the 35mm lineup is complete now, 35/1.2 III 35/1.4 II, 35/1.7 35/2 and there is the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 for those who are willing to pay for no distortion with floating elements.
It will be a long time before we see yet another 35mm lens from them, 24mm 28mm or 50mm are more likely choices.

35 PII 2.5 VM. Now it is complete.

This is a very nice update from Cosina, the new version weights 332g, which is pretty close to the Summilux FLE (320g). The size is still a bit larger(60.8 x 50.5mm VM vs 56 x 46 Lux FLE) but should be much more manageable than before.

Do you know if Leica and Voigtlander measure lenses from the same point? As I recall, some measure total length while others measure from the top of the flange. In any event, Voigtlander has an impressive lineup of f/1.2 lenses -- 35mm, 40mm, and 50mm.

There is also the Made in China replica of the V1 Summicron 35/2. Also an interesting lens.

There is also the Made in China replica of the V1 Summicron 35/2. Also an interesting lens.

If it appears at all before 2021. The flint glass original is indeed interesting but the 2nd run is modern glass.

I’d personally go for the fast Voigtländer as I already have the
35 Summaron f/2.8 and Zeiss 35 C.

For most cases (for me), I need max aperture 2.0. In rare cases I need a 1.4 aperture.
In extremely rare cases do I need a max aperture of 1.2.

For most cases (for me), I need max aperture 2.0. In rare cases I need a 1.4 aperture.
In extremely rare cases do I need a max aperture of 1.2.

Super fast glass is nice, if only for creative purposes, allowing you to play with depth of field, but historically you pay such a high penalty in size and weight, and cost, to the point that the lenses are unpractical. See e.g., Noctilux. These new Voigtlanders, however, have made f/1.2 practical, somewhat.

I think the 35mm lineup is complete now, 35/1.2 III 35/1.4 II, 35/1.7, 35/2 and there is the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 for those who are willing to pay for no distortion with floating elements.
It will be a long time before we see yet another 35mm lens from them, 24mm, 28mm or 50mm are more likely choices.

The 35/1.7 is discontinued.

Stephen

Would really love to see Cosina release a small and fast 24/25mm lens. Something in the F2 neighborhood would be awesome. Not sure how small they'd be able to keep it...but there's a pretty big jump in size from their 25mm F4 to anything faster. They have a ton of 21mm options but nothing between 21mm and 28mm.

All Cosina now needs to do is introduce a digital Zeiss Ikon ZM. With hybrid OVF/EVF.
Oh yes , there is plenty of capable cameras on the market , but not that many fun cameras. If only Fuji Xpro series was full frame with less buttons on the body I would be all over it, 3 layered sensor would be also welcome bonus.

Hopefully this will play nicely with non leica mirrorless sensors as I could see myself using this for video and stills. The version II was OK from memory.

If Sony made the A7iii with an M mount and thin sensor cover glass, $ 1995, I'd be at the front of the line.

If pigs could fly....
The only camera company to have done something like that was Ricoh. Sony is into selling its own lenses and won’t go to the expense of a limited run of sensors with thin enough cover glass.

Am a bit surprised that with the real new interest in analog that Cosina hasn’t jumped into the fray with updated Bessas, both 135 and 120. They made both recently enough that they have the expertise and machinery.

If pigs could fly....
The only camera company to have done something like that was Ricoh. Sony is into selling its own lenses and won’t go to the expense of a limited run of sensors with thin enough cover glass.

Am a bit surprised that with the real new interest in analog that Cosina hasn’t jumped into the fray with updated Bessas, both 135 and 120. They made both recently enough that they have the expertise and machinery.

I do wonder if they could make a cheap, plastic Bessa R again but in M-mount and if so...how much it would be.

Back