New Yashica in the house!

ChrisN

Striving
Local time
7:27 AM
Finally arrived this morning. My Lynx 14 is now settling in after a quick alcohol scrub and massage. Early dramas - after 10 minutes playing with it, trying different shutter speeds and apertures, the shutter speed ring went loose and stopped changing speeds. I wanted to remove the lens anyway to try to clean off a tiny bit of fungus, and found some instructions at Michael Feuerbacher's site. Everything came apart easily - the culprit was a small brass pin that was a press fit into what Michael calls the cocking rack. It had fallen out - pushed it back in and silver soldered it for good measure. Everything cleaned and back together now. Tomorrow I'll clean the viewfinder and see if the meter is anywhere near accurate.

Hi Greyhoundman

How do you like yours? Have you had to do any work on yours? I found a 1.4v battery hearing aid battery which fits with an 0-ring to keep it centred and a little bit of card under the contacts to make up the height. I've calibrated it against a trusted meter for average daylight conditions - I'd prefer to use a decent meter for the low-light stuff and at this stage I think the slow shutter speeds are a bit unreliable.

Chris

I just received my first Yashica, a GSN. All I can say is... what a bloody beast of a camera. It's so large and solid. You feel you could hammer a nail in with it, it's so damn tough.

Now to start reading up on how to actually use it.

Nick said:
I just received my first Yashica, a GSN. All I can say is... what a bloody beast of a camera. It's so large and solid. You feel you could hammer a nail in with it, it's so damn tough.

Now to start reading up on how to actually use it.

That's easy. Just hold it by the body and smack down hard on the nail with the baseplate ;)

ray_g said:
That's easy. Just hold it by the body and smack down hard on the nail with the baseplate ;)

I wouldn't recommend that. The outside looks tough, but the wiring inside doesn't have the best solder.

The Minolta's I've taken apart seem much better in that department.

I also own a Lynx. Compared to the Lynx, the GSN is a pocket camera.
Just to give people an impression, watch the Lynx next to a Rolleicord 6x6

yce025.jpg

Still I don't mind to carry this massive RF around. With it's great 7 elements lens it's capable of taking extremely sharp pictures!

chrisn, the first shots off the lynx look lovely. congrats. its a good thing cyclops has decided to earn his keep. ;)

Back