New ZM lenses, 21mm and 18mm.

Yeah

Yeah

No kidding, I have been lusting over a 501CM... Now with these new ZV's... I really want one of those 50/4.

There is a history of Zeiss Biogons 4.5/21 since 1953 (Contax RF) and Distagons 4/18 since 1967 (Contarex line). I wonder if these lenses are remakes of the historical designs.

cheers Frank

looks like this year's Photokina will be fun.

zeiss is very smart, they just utilize the existing camera mount to suit its own purpose, zm for leica M mount, zf for nikon mount, and now zv for hasselblad v mount.

grantray said:
Out of curiosity, Sheepdog, how did you find these links? I check the Zeiss site often. Am I blind?

There was a thread up on dpreview regarding the ZF-lenses, and as I am a Minoltian myself, I check anything labeled "New Zeiss Lenses" hoping for more ZA glass. Of the current ZA primes 135/1.8 and 85/1.4, I already have an equivalent for the 85, and the 135 is more than long enough on my 1.6x 7D body (which is a delight to use with an optional split screen installed). I am hoping they'll focus on the short end next - something between 16 and 24mm with a descent max aperture size would help fill my gap between 14/2.8 and 28/2..

As to your concerns of bad eyesight, your gallery on bedetermined.com would suggest strongly otherwise - nice work, man!

_
Kjetil

saxshooter said:
Hmmm... 18mm... I smell a digital (non Full frame) Zeiss coming...

In an elaborate interview with Herbert Keppler from PopPhoto only a few weeks back, the head of Zeiss photography division denied any such plans.

If you read on and between the lines, Zeiss seems to be patient and willing to wait for sensor technology to be able to serve a FF-RF, possibly to secure optimum use of the new lens line.

Nachkebia said:
Just for you! :angel:

Thanks, but the announced offerings don't tickle my wallet (except for the updated 35/1.4) in the way a 21/2.0 would.. :)
Also had hopes for the 16-80 being my Tri-Elmar equivalent for one body, one lens work, but it's being pushed back from Oct/Nov to March of 07. I hope Sony get a 7D-like semipro body out the door by that time, and I'll be sleeping much easier at night again :) (7Ds have a habit of dying and replacements are non-existent ATM)

Back on topic, I really like the steady flow of quality primes from Zeiss, be they built at Zeiss Oberkochen, Cosina Japan or Sony China.. Photography won't get less interesting this way..

_
Kjetil

Nachkebia said:
dcsang : Zeiss are not in trounle as leica was (is) so they have no demand in digital body! until system is mature and they can put full frame onboard..

Excactly.

The already have an impressive range of all-newly designed lenses with probably unpararalelled corner-to-corner sharpness. Even if a FF-camera is a few years ahead, a large part of the Leice lenses will seem pretty outdated at the time.

There is a history of Zeiss Biogons 4.5/21 since 1953 (Contax RF) and Distagons 4/18 since 1967 (Contarex line). I wonder if these lenses are remakes of the historical designs.

Given the release of the classic 50mm 1.5, I would bet money that you are correct. A 21 f4.5 biogon is defiately another Zeiss classic.

The new Tri-Elmar and its new finder are for me.

The new tri-elmar does look good but I suspect you could buy both these new Zeiss lenses for a little over half of the cost of the Tri-Elmar.

I wonder if a new fnder is also due for the new 18? Maybe another dual frameline finder from Zeiss?

What I want to know is where were these in the 60s, 70s 80s and 90s? Why the push for manual focus leses from Zeiss now? I wonder if it's because Nikon is dropping their own line of manual focus lenses.

That 21mm Biogon looks awesome...I think i will be saveing soon. Hopefully it will be priced a little lower than the 21mm 2.8...

Back