NEX-3 and Leica CL with same Zeiss 50mm ZM

River Dog

Always looking
Local time
3:41 AM
I just got a NEX-3 body to backup my Leica CL film camera - I prefer film but going to do some commissions abroad, I need preview and digital backup.

Here are some similar shots with the same 50mm f/2 Zeiss Planar ZM. Obviously the crop factor alters the framing and shooting distance.

I do a lot of black and white film, so I adjusted the NEX-3 shots to the same film grain in Silver Efex Pro (Fuji Neopan 100)

Overall, I am very happy with this combination.

5451654750_4179741403_z.jpg

Leica CL

5478331447_a12c5f7ba3_z.jpg

Sony NEX-3

5451655810_5c30b68bb0_z.jpg

Leica CL

5478324083_e898f38234_z.jpg

Sony NEX-3

Last edited:
Wonderful comparision.
Thank you for sharing.

Non-scientific, I hasten to add. Technical stuff as follows:

I was using the same lens but not on the same day, or time of day (two weeks apart).
  • 50mm, f4 at 1/125, Neopan 100 exposed for 200, developed in RO9
  • The NEX-3 is equivalent to 75mm, f2.8 at 1/125, manual focus and auto ISO (JPEG not RAW, haven't tried that yet). Converted in Silver Efex Pro and Neopan grain added. Saved to JPEG 1000 pixels wide.
  • The film was scanned at 800 dpi on an Epson V500
Very difficult to compare like for like except with the resulting image online at low res but I will be interested to run these through my A3 printer one day.

Thanks for sharing.

But I'm more interested in ergonomics and handling, and have a hard time finding relevant information. It seams that everybody is preoccupied with tech specs and bunch of hardly relevant data.

Could you tell a few words on usability of this combination, and how does it compare to the experience of using a "real camera"? :) How fast is it?

Thanks,
Nikola

It seams that everybody is preoccupied with tech specs and bunch of hardly relevant data.
Ergonically, I like it - albeit it's a cheap compromise - but I think you would have to try it with the lenses you are going to use.

It hangs down, front heavy. It is not so fast but it is unobtrusive. Pre-focussing would have to help - the focus needs the magnification view which is another button. It releases the view when you touch the shutter button, ready for the shot.

LCD rotates up quite a way and down less so, but enough to be quite useful. Haven't used it in very bright conditions yet but a Hoodman may help here.

Once the menu options are set up (which are pretty clumsy) I don't touch much else. The camera balances on a couple of curled fingers of the left hand, supporting part of the lens as well and works nicely like that. Portrait is a bit clumsier but not impossible.

I shoot Auto ISO in A, no tweaks needed as yet.

Very light and thin. The Leica CL is not exactly ergonomic perfection and the NEX is not bad enough for me to leave on a shelf, by any means.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

But I'm more interested in ergonomics and handling, and have a hard time finding relevant information. It seams that everybody is preoccupied with tech specs and bunch of hardly relevant data.

Could you tell a few words on usability of this combination, and how does it compare to the experience of using a "real camera"? :) How fast is it?

Thanks,
Nikola

If you know your lens, it can be very fast. In fact the view finder is not necessary at all. With 7 fps you can hold it alongside your pocket with one hand, push the shutter with your thumb and move the foucs ring on your CV with a middle finger as it fires.

Rent the movie "Z"..that photojournalist would have loved it, hehe.

But its not the same as anything else. Has it's own feel and tricks.

Back