NEX gift lens options?

noimmunity

scratch my niche
Local time
12:45 AM
My brother has a NEX 5n...:bang:

His current lens line up includes the 16/2.8, the 18-55, and the 55-210.

I think he values convenience and ease of use over anything else.

I'm thinking about getting either one or both of the Sigma 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 for him. The Zeiss options are too expensive.

Are the new versions of the Sigma lenses better?

Any thoughts about where to go from here?

Old or new version, the Sigma 19 and 30 are excellent lenses. I saw a test where they beat Leica Summicrons in sharpness and resolution.

Old or new version, the Sigma 19 and 30 are excellent lenses. I saw a test where they beat Leica Summicrons in sharpness and resolution.

Since there is a significant price difference between the old and new, does it matter?

I read that the optical formula is the same.

I have the old version of the Sigma 30 for NEX-5N. It's an excellent lens optically and very affordable. I don't like it too much, because I use the Sony quite a bit for video where the focusing performance can get frustrating. The handling is nothing special, but probably not an important thing for anyone looking for an AF lens for still photography.

Considering what he's been used to so far, I don't think the corners are a big deal. It sounds like either version of the 30 would be a noticeable improvement over what he's been using.

I'm kinda tempted though to get him a Coolpix A or a DP2M and shake up his world. (Both are on sale in Europe for about US$500).

If convenience and ease of use are the criteria then what about the Sony 16-50 power zoom? As fitted to NEX-6 or 7.

If convenience and ease of use are the criteria then what about the Sony 16-50 power zoom? As fitted to NEX-6 or 7.

If he already has an 18-55?
I'm asking this question out of total ignorance. Never interested in the Nex system, I really have no idea about it all.

Most of the older original Sony e mount lenses tended to be pretty sharp in the center and plain bad in the corners. The later lenses started to get better in the corners and edges. In general, there are suppose to be some better lenses for the Nex now, but I really don't think u can go wrong w/ any of the sigma lenses for it.

Gary

IF

1) your brother values convenience and ease of use;

2) the quality of the lenses he currently has are good enough (the 18-200mm will actually be a little better than his current zooms)

3) you're willing to spend $848 (B&H)

Just get the Sony 18-200mm for the NEX mount, and tell him to sell his current zooms.

If he already has an 18-55?
I'm asking this question out of total ignorance. Never interested in the Nex system, I really have no idea about it all.

The 18-55 is out-resolved by the sensor. AFAIK this isn't true for the 16-50, which is also smaller (more convenient) and motor zooms quickly (more convenient) rather than having a manual zoom ring.

I posted some shots with the 18-55 and a Summitar here taken with the 20MP a3000 and resized to 16MP. The Summitar runs rings around the 18-55, which is beaten by possibly the worst kit zoom Canon ever made, the 35-70 plastic fantastic from the 1992 Rebel II.

Considering what he's been used to so far, I don't think the corners are a big deal. It sounds like either version of the 30 would be a noticeable improvement over what he's been using.

I'm kinda tempted though to get him a Coolpix A or a DP2M and shake up his world. (Both are on sale in Europe for about US$500).

Just give him the 500$.

Back