NEX3 w/ CV 35/1.4 photos

kshapero, a lot of nice photos there! I am really impressed with the NEX. Also, I don't think that the menu system is near as bad as dpreview and other reviewers stated. The firmware update was an improvement too, and increased usability.

kshapero, a lot of nice photos there! I am really impressed with the NEX. Also, I don't think that the menu system is near as bad as dpreview and other reviewers stated. The firmware update was an improvement too, and increased usability.
Firmware update allows extensive customization of buttons. Frankly without it the NEX would be sunk to a serious shooter. With it, it rocks. For example when I pop on an M mount lens the lower button becomes a quick efficient manual assist button, then if I put on , say, the NEX zoom lens, that same button becomes whatever else I deem it, like ISO mode. Central button can be customized for up to 3 different quick get to's, like White balance, B/W, etc. Pretty cool.

The Nex has arrived an hour ago as I stated before. I am charging the battery right now, waiting for the 250 minutes it takes to be fully charged. One question: (sorry, haven't read the manual allready) - can I assume, that I've got the lastest firmware? Or does it tell once I have connected it with my Mac that there is one available?

Your camera may or may not have the latest firmware installed, it was only released November 10, IIRC. Easy to check, though. Go to setup in the menu system and scroll down the list until you see the system version. Version 3.0 is the latest, and is easy to download from the Sony site.

Impressive what these NEX cameras can do - with a decent lens.

I've been eyeing these things for a little while now...

Though it's interesting how many used ones are up for sale constantly.
I love the fit and handling of the NEX but I suspect it is not for everyone. If you buy one off the internet make sure they have a decent return policy (Adorama, Amazon, BH) so you can try it out.

Back