Next best "bargain" lens for M outside of 40 f/2 rokkor / summicron-c?

A bit funny how people consider > 400 US as "best bargain" for a lens ... you guys might want to check prices on clean 2.8 Summarons, DR Summicrons, 50 Hexanons, 40 Summicrons or Rokkors, 90 Elmarits, etc.

Just bought me another clean Nikkor 50/2 for US 250 (and I was lucky). Very cool lens. Or the Canon 50/1.8 that Steve mentioned above. The Canon 85/2 can still be had for not too much. The 90 Rokkor can still be had below US 300, and is as sharp as it gets.

Roland.

Prices are up for sure. A bargain lens is for me a lens that is very good and costs less than a Leica lens. :D

I want a Nikon 50/2 again. I sold a Tokyo 50/2. My loss.

We all know the 40mm f/2 rokkor (which I own) and 40 summicron-c M lenses are consider Leica's best value....

We do?

I don't. The 'As New' 40mm Rokkor sent to me by one of Europe's 'leading' Leica-fit dealers was a shocker which exhibited such ghastly, image wrecking, 'glowing' highlights [presumably spherical Abberations?] that it was utterly unusable by me. At which point I gave up my search for a 40mm lens and purchased a Zeiss C-Biogon 35mm f2.8 and learned that this lens may well be the best value lens for the M platform there is.

But there again I see it as my responsibility, not my lenses, to put 'character' into my work.

.......... Chris

Chris,

You were stuck with a rare lemon or messed up lens. The Summicron-C rivals any Leica 35-50mm lens in performance.

I know this will sound like heresy but, (with a proper adapter) a J3 or J8 that Brian has adjusted can be spectacular.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Konica Hexanon-M 50/2.0, that can easily go head-to-head with a Summicron. And as a result gets harder to find already...

I know you didn't ask for it, but the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 50/2.8 is the nicest one they made, real chrome over brass and a future classic. Resembles the Summaron 35/2.8 closely in design. Real sharp and classic bokeh. Don't say I didn't tall you! ;)

4/90 Elmar-C. You can get it for about 150$ (but look for the original hood!). It's insanely sharp and focuses perfectly with any M (even though it has that weird cam). It's really small too and almost doesn't suffer from any special diseases like haze etc.

Another vote for the Hexanon 50 F2. Also CV 35 2.5, any of them (PI, PII or classic).

Your bargain price spread includes a LOT of great lenses. For $700 you could even find a 50 DR. My bargain prices are considerably lower, so put me down for a Summar for the best prices for a Leica lens. If you get a clean one, or have it cleaned, a Summar is a fantastic lens.

Let's not forget the 61LD lenses. I have one that is very, very close to a Leica in IQ, and I used to have a collapsible Industar 50 that was even better. There is no way you can look at photos made from either of these lenses and tell if a Leica or a $25 Russian lens made them.

Like ray said, a Sweeneyized J8 is a fine lens. The one I got from him focused really well all through the range, but I do prefer a Leica's IQ.

In my life, the best lens bargain I've found recently came attached to a $45 Kodak Retina Ia camera. It's an Ektar 50 3.5 and heres's 2 samples made with bargain $1 a roll film.

6112621804_65f5639e57_z.jpg

6112621814_601fd00853_z.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,

You were stuck with a rare lemon or messed up lens. The Summicron-C rivals any Leica 35-50mm lens in performance.

Raid - I hope you are right about it being a lemon but I had no way to determine whether it was or wasn't, and when I was looking the 40mm Summicron was a contender but I couldn't get one. I have been working the C-Biogon 35mm for over a year and it has become irreplaceable, by the way; it replaced a Colour Skopar 35mm f2.5 which it noticeably out performs.

I too have a Hexanon 50mm f2.0 and I think it's a wonderful lens.

.............. Chris

Chris,
One option is to send DAG or someone else your lens for adjusting and testing. DAG did a great job adjusting my Canon 50/1.2.
I am posting four larger sized images from the Summicron-C. It is as good as the Pentax 43mm 1.9 limited edition LTM lens. I compared them.
This is a first class lens overall.

Last edited:
Back