Next move

tobinharris

Established
Local time
8:34 PM
So I got a Fuji XE-1 last year and had some fun with it. I wanted something with AF. I was frustrated with too many out of focus RD1 shots.

Now I realise it's nowhere near as much fun to shoot, or as inspiring as the RD1. I always shoot in manual with the Epson and love it. And I even prefer the Zeiss Planar + RD1 rendering compared to the XE-1 + Fuji 35mm 1.4.

So, I'm now seeking something like an RD1 with autofocus, higher ISO and a maybe even few more megapixels. Does such a thing exist? Leica Q? XT1 with Zeiss glass?

PS - I'll be keeping the RD1 of course :)

my first question is why are you getting so many oof shots with the rd1? that just shouldnt be the case. perhaps if you resolve that issue you may not need another camera. and thats a good thing because, outside of maybe the fuji hybrid vf cameras, you will not come close to the user experience of the rd1 with an af camera. ive tried. the closest i came is the old panasonic L1 which is a fully analogue 4/3 (not m4/3) camera with optical vf that i use with native 4/3 af leica lenses. it has the same iso limitations as the rd1, but has an extra 11/2 mps! the rendering is similar because it has a hybrid ccd/cmos sensor, and the leica glass, though limited, is lovely. the whole rig can be fully manual to use if you choose. very simple, just like the rd1. the af is a little slow, but accurate.

Try picking up a Nikon DG-2, I just got one on ebay from Japan for $32 all in. I was playing around not long ago and kept getting shots that were back focused(when wide open), while experimenting since getting it it appears my focus accuracy has improved. Mind you these were pretty lose standards of testing. Same settings, camera on tripod, and cable release used to remove me from being the cause as much as possible.

Now if I could only get my photography skills past being pedestrian(at best) I may eventually post something.
laugh_by_iikaptain-d2fbkuf.gif

Ricoh GXR with VF, 28mm F2,5 and 50mm F2,5 Macro?
I own a R-D1 and GXR with M-modul and will purchase
those two on occasion. The Ricoh renders very nice too
in spite of having a CMOS-sensor.

my first question is why are you getting so many oof shots with the rd1? that just shouldnt be the case.

You're right, I even love the simple click of the shutter on the R-D1. I'm going to try and learn to avoid focus problems. Much of my photography is capturing family & friends. Sometimes moving, sometimes posing! I find I need to shoot wide open for artistic effect, or because it's low light. Nailing the focus in those situations is tough. If I'm shooting portraits at f1.4 or 2.8, it's taking me 5-10s to get the focus right and people get bored, so I rush.

Thanks for the suggestion on the L1.

I had a GXR and m module along with my R-D1 on a trip to Japan a few years ago. The GXR is far more capable and flexible, but has none of the haptic magic of the R-D1. It just wasn't as much fun to shoot with.

Along with the R-D1, i had a 25mm Zeiss Biogon that was incredibly sharp. Critical focus was not as critical (at 2.8 as well).

tobin sounds like your rd1 rangefinder is out of whack if consistently getting out of focus. however the rd1 rf baseline is rather short so nailing focus at f1.4/f2 on a 50mm+ will always be hard. i miss shooting with it from time to time but now i have moved on to a sony a7. for not much more than an used rd1 i can get full frame and crazy high iso. nailing focus is easy with magnification or focus peaking. i set ISO, set aperture priority and shoot my life away.
i however still use rf with an M6 for those tactile buttons. the digital camera is used mostly as the film scanner or family shots.
may be the x100 series? dont know but i decided to go manual w film camera and a bit of modern with the sony.

my greatest gift to you, if you choose to receive it in the spirit it is given, is to suggest that you routinely shoot at apertures other than wide open. there is plenty of magic and art ive seen and made at 4.0 and 5.6! especially if youre just starting your journey in photography, please do not make the mistake of believing great lens makers like leica and zeiss included all those other aperture settings as an afterthought. they are part of the artistic process, and imo no one can call themselves an artist who does not fully understand what his tools are capable of producing.

tobin sounds like your rd1 rangefinder is out of whack if consistently getting out of focus....

Thanks. I've had it adjusted a few times by the guy at Dale Photographic, Leeds. Might have it checked. Is there any way of doing this at home?

A7II is interesting for sure. Do you shoot manual with it?

A used Leica M9 is too, not I realise I can probably shoot manual easily, and a fast of changing ISO using menu.

my greatest gift to you, if you choose to receive it in the spirit it is given, is to suggest that you routinely shoot at apertures other than wide open. ...

Thanks :) Nobody has ever said that before to me. I did read about how aperture is a great tool for story telling, and will keep that in mind.

Thanks. I've had it adjusted a few times by the guy at Dale Photographic, Leeds. Might have it checked. Is there any way of doing this at home?

A7II is interesting for sure. Do you shoot manual with it?

A used Leica M9 is too, not I realise I can probably shoot manual easily, and a fast of changing ISO using menu.

only manual focus for now. they satisfy my need for digital shots. i got the original a7 cheaper and all the gizzmos i need. m9 is nice with the optical finder but several times more expensive and cant scan film as well since it does not provide live view. the sony is a great medium format scanner ;)
my old rd1 is fairly good at 5 meters or less but cant focus accurately after that. confirmed by tests in a lab with focus device (a giant telescope like device). i happily used a 35 f2 and 21 f2.8 with it though. i moved on mostly due to wanting to shoot wider :) spoilt by the m6 negative.

Back