Next Zeiss ZM lens ...when?

kram

Well-known
Local time
6:35 PM
Any news of the next ZM lens? Leica's 28mm f2 is a bit long in the tooth, time for an improved lens possibly. Or a 25mm f2.

Most likely a "digital upgrade" to either the 18 or 21 they just discontinued, but I doubt it.

More likely a 1.4/50 off the back of their 1.4/35 success.

My hope is for a 50/1.4 with performance similar to the 35/1.4. Then Cosina will release a Voigtlander variant for 1/3 the price (their 50/1.5 is OK, but not great across the frame in a modern sense. On the other hand, the new 35/1.7 has made me forget about wanting the 35/1.4).

What's wrong with the 28 Cron? In the RF world, it's still one of the best 28s you can get. Maybe the new Lux tops it in some respects, such as speed, but MTFs don't suggest it's sharper. The 28 Cron has some interesting character for a Leica lens, yet is also very sharp. OK, maybe for landscapes you need to stop it down to around f/5.6 due to some field curvature. And yes, it has been out for some time now. IMO, any of the current Leica 28s top the ZM and CV offerings... So, in this respect, sure, Zeiss should replace or bring out another 28. But given their apparent focus on mirrorless and DSLR systems, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the next ZM. Though I would be happy to be wrong!

I too won't hold my breath. But, now that it was mentioned, I really wouldn't mind an alternative summilux (50/1.4). I have been wanting to get one for a while, but they aren't cheap and funds seem to go elsewhere. A Zeiss offering is bound to be a great performer (I absolutely LOVE my Biogon 35/2) and down in the price range I can seriously consider. I know there's a CV 50/1.5 that gets good marks, but I want to see "1.4" on my aperture ring. Irrational, I know :0

More likely a 1.4/50 off the back of their 1.4/35 success.

The ZM 35/1.4 really is an excellent lens. But it doesn't seem to be selling very well (locally at least) in a market already saturated with many new and used options, and there's so little discussion about it on the net that I wonder about it being a success. Perhaps in few more years after more people have realized how good it is...

The ZM 35/1.4 really is an excellent lens. But it doesn't seem to be selling very well (locally at least) in a market already saturated with many new and used options, and there's so little discussion about it on the net that I wonder about it being a success. Perhaps in few more years after more people have realized how good it is...
maybe the combination of size and price makes it unattractive when compared with the Summilux and the Nokton?

When the ZM range of lenses first came out I bought quite a few and was happy with them but then came the wobbles. Did Zeiss ever fix whatever they needed to fix? I would like to know that before dropping big bucks on a 35/1.4 ZM.

When the ZM range of lenses first came out I bought quite a few and was happy with them but then came the wobbles. Did Zeiss ever fix whatever they needed to fix? I would like to know that before dropping big bucks on a 35/1.4 ZM.

I experienced similar with some of the early ZM lenses, but Cosina/Zeiss have really gotten their act together in recent years and I'd say my ZM 35/1.4 is the smoothest focusing lens I've ever used. Focusing feels very precise and smooth.

I experienced similar with some of the early ZM lenses, but Cosina/Zeiss have really gotten their act together in recent years and I'd say my ZM 35/1.4 is the smoothest focusing lens I've ever used. Focusing feels very precise and smooth.

That's good to know. Thanks! Christmas is around the corner:)

Yes, I think the market is saturated at the moment for photography equipment generally, and M mount (and other smaller format) lenses particularly. I'm not sure there is any great appetite for another 50/F1.4 lens, especially if the lens doesn't offer any size advantage over existing M mount 50s, most of which are excellent already.

I feel that the 35mm focal length is covered well from the M mount lens manufacturers: Leica f1.4, 2, 2.5;Zeiss f1.4, 2, 2.8; and VC f1.2, 1.4, 1.7 and 2.8. With the 28mm Leica has a range of f1.4, 2, 2.8 but Zeiss just f2.8 and VC f2. 24/25mm Leica f2.8, 3.8, Zeiss f2.8, VC f4. As primary lens manufactures I woul think Zeiss or VC would see a gap for a high quality lens, 'slight' cheaper than the Lekca offerings. What has brought this post about, I missed out on a great deal on a Leica f2 28mm and I am kicking myself, all due to a poor internet connection! Have you seen the price of a new Leica 28mm f2 or f1.4?

Back