Nicca / Tower M39 screw mount bodies
Found some pics of the one I had:

TowerNicca-a.jpg

TowerNicca-b.jpg

TowerNicca-c.jpg

TowerNicca-f.jpg

Best,
-Tim

For using a 35, why not a Canon 7 which has frame lines in the finder? I see the appeal of the smaller LTM bodies mainly for the wider lenses for which one needs an external VF in any case.

Mine is here. 3-F, right now with Jupiter-8 :) So happy about it, works like a charm

31364023018_bf59e6f902_h.jpg

And a random shot made with it (with Industar 26m and Ilford HP5 @ 500):

31213664268_9289ef5609_k.jpg

The YF was a nice camera -- I had one -- but I'm less and less sure why people want to try to use these things. As David said, why not just go for a Leica if all you want to do is take pictures? Or for that matter a modern Voigtlander?

Then again, I used to try lots of different cameras too, and it's sort of hard to remember why. I can see the point of collecting -- again, I used to do it, and Frances and I wrote a book about rangefinder and direct vision cameras* -- but I only ever bought or borrowed cameras that I came across by chance. The collector/user interface is probably more easily solved by going for Leicas.

*I find it amusing that there are 6 strongly positive and 3 strongly negative reviews in the link. As one of my editors said, "You're a Marmite writer": Marmite is a spread that people reputedly either love or hate. Those who didn't like it complained basically that it wasn't the book they'd have written; except of course that none of them actually did write anything except poor reviews...

Cheers,

R.

It was the first LTM camera I bought after messing around with FSU gear, Roger. Came with the Canon 50/1.8, and I found it at a Goodwill store. Unfortunately, it had some rough treatment from the previous owner, even though it looks EXC+ on the outside. So last year I got another one to replace it. I was into Yashica's for quite a while, so it was a sentimental choice.

But now that I've gone through Canon P, and Nicca III-S models, I plan on getting a Leica IIIf with an Elmar 50/2.8.

PF

I have owned and shot Leica IIb, IIIC, M3, Canon IVSB, trigger wind, and 7s, and a P. Have a Nicca IIIs and a Tower lever wind 46. all are gone or not used except the M3, Nicca IIIS, and Tower lever wind. Have a clean (external) Leica IIIf I'm waiting to afford to fix the curtains...broken of course. Have never had to fix any camera make except Leicas....

23032841724_2f5e905bc8_z.jpg

8147894902_c297b85112_z.jpg

That's the problem with my Nicca III S, Garrett. One and a half rolls of film, and a shutter curtain ribbon cut loose.

PF

So Cal,

Did it show up? Does the serial number start with 150? Is it pristine?

Best,
-Tim

Tim,

USPS has this habit of tracking a parcel to my local Post Office, and the actual delivery happens to always be the next day, so I only recieved my camera Friday.

I am mucho happy. The camera is a shelf queen as far as condition, and good-to-go. I bought this camera off the RFF classified from Gordon, one of the sponsor's of RFF (Gordy's Straps).

Also came with a Gordy Strap of my choice. I selected a novel strap that is both a neck strap and a wrist strap in one that hangs the camera vertically. I use a wrist strap on the Tower 45/46, and utilize the neck/wrist strap on my SL2-MOT.

My serial number is 151002. Inside the camera if I remove the base plate I see Nicca Camera LTD. From the Nicca link in this thread my camera dates back to 1956 and is older than me. I own a very clean sample. Pretty much does not get better than this.

I think I will be mostly using mt silver Pentax-L 43/1.9 and 45/2.8 Supper Rokkor on this camera. The Pentax-L VF has framelines for 43/50, but if you use the entire window it also provides framing for 35mm. The Pentax-L VF'er has a built in diopter and this "all at once view" of a wide.

I feel very lucky. Thanks Gordon.

Cal

That's great Cal. Yours was made 312 cameras before the one I had. Mine was in absolute pristine condition also. Wonder if they were just REALLY WELL MADE, or maybe they just DIDN'T GET USED MUCH.

Best,
-Tim

That's great Cal. Yours was made 312 cameras before the one I had. Mine was in absolute pristine condition also. Wonder if they were just REALLY WELL MADE, or maybe they just DIDN'T GET USED MUCH.

Best,
-Tim

Tim,

I think mine did not get used much. Pretty much like a time capsule.

I would even say that compared with the III G's and the black paint Leica II I have owned that the Tower is not as smooth or quiet, but it might be that the camera still has not been broken in.

I can't believe no one sniped it off the classified before I bough it.

Cal

I took my lever wind Tower on a Wyoming trip a few weeks ago, and it worked very well. Have never had it CLA'd, it seems to be fine without it. The SIII is similarly working fine.

Back