Night shooting with an Infrared E-M1 (Image Heavy)

kb244

Well-known
Local time
5:35 AM
Some more earlier tonight, decided to throw a Hoya R72 in front to narrow the spectrum to just 720nm+ (instead of the 590nm). All with the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 adapted.

The flare crazy varnum river composite, the 2nd mural shot onward are without the R72 filter in front, the rest are with the R72 in front.

The Varnum River scene, and the very last one of the church front are composites, so they'll be able to print around 36 inches on the long side at 300+ dpi.

My previous night walk session, mostly without a filter in front of the lens can be found here : http://imgur.com/a/DM5z6

I'll likely have to wait til the weekend before I do a full daytime walk, but I've found that downtown, night shooting is quite doable with 590nm with little difference in exposure times on a tripod than from my unmodified camera. The exception of course outside of some buildings they use either efficient lights or very narrow band LEDs which do not emit any IR or red light. Street halogens/neons/fluorescent/headlights etc and what not seem to always have something present in the IR range.

Walk starts about 8:30pm after I got off work at the Campus.

J4VslFa.jpg

nYgnY3I.jpg

xrD9bsj.jpg

9xMn0GQ.jpg

ycczzXu.jpg

T0mYi6U.jpg

* All above this point was handheld, after this point it got too dark and I unstrapped the tripod from the backpack *

7cZaYl4.jpg

fhswSTt.jpg

Kx2gdam.jpg

d6eGIqF.jpg

* And now with the R72 filter removed going filterless *

h2HoJaZ.jpg

qU0srGx.jpg

vAkKXRx.jpg

Flare overload open at f/1.4 on a busy high grade (steep) street.

gmqkz3y.jpg

2L9tDX2.jpg

Embrace it while it still is possible - in parts of Germany where LED lamps have already taken over public illumination there is not much near IR left at night, apart from barbecues, campfires, cigarettes, IR remote controls and the odd few old geezers that keep some incandescent bulb burning for tradition's sake.

Embrace it while it still is possible - in parts of Germany where LED lamps have already taken over public illumination there is not much near IR left at night, apart from barbecues, campfires, cigarettes, IR remote controls and the odd few old geezers that keep some incandescent bulb burning for tradition's sake.

That's where the charm of the 590nm modification comes in. Course when there's no IR light, you're basically left with monochromatic orange when trying to custom white balance it. So... you sort of get red filtered black and white without much benefit to the green/blue photosites.

My goal is to try to find a glass filter that can cover my Metz 64AF-1 flash head that is an infrared filter of either 830nm or 940nm and mount that so that when it goes off there is no visible flash but it shows up on camera. Could get some downtown shots weegee style. Can't use gels cuz they'll melt (otherwise I'd try to get some Wratten 87C gels).

In the absence of that, I guess try to find a good LED panel designed to emit infrared light above 830nm. (if it's lower than that, there will be a slight visible red emission).

Edit when the camera originally showed up on eBay it was listed as "Full Spectrum", which I was hoping for, it was clarified in private later that it was the "Super Color" modification by LifePixel and not Full Spectrum, but for the price I found it worth it and 590nm gives me much more working room, I was just hoping to take advantage of the low light benefits of full spectrum, and eventually play with UV-pass filters. But now I want to get an unmodified E-M1 for my primary workhorse because I love this body more than my E-M5.

Back