Nik worth upgrading from free version?

mrtoml

Mancunian
Local time
1:09 AM
I still use the original free nik software - especially silver efex - and was wondering whether it is worth paying for the newer dxo version.

What development has dxo done to warrant paying for new version?

If it is minimal I may as well stick with the old version for the time being.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I’ve had the software since it cost several hundred dollars, back before Google bought it for the proprietary information, and made it free, then orphaned it.
If you have the free copy, best advice would be to go to the dXo site and do a deep dive into information there and see what has been added relative to the original version you have.
The first upgrade they did wasn’t much, but the next two, including the recent one have made some worthwhile improvements with regard to many new presets, and, seems to me, speed. The noise reduction component seems better as well, and to me now seems better than NR in Photoshop, though I could be wrong about that. (I used it, and compared it with the NR in PS a few times last week, which was the basis for my opinion. Previously, I didn’t think the NR in Nik Efex was anything special. It later occurred to me that DXO’s Prime noise reduction is considered by many to be the best in the business, so maybe they ported that over to the noise reduction app in the newest version of Nik Suite. I have no idea, but the new version now seems very nice to me, where it didn’t before. Though this is very much a seat of the pants assessment.)

However, you cannot beat “free”, which is what you have, so “worthwhile” improvements is a personal opinion. Current pricing is still less than the original company was charging for the lesser version of the software suite years ago, IIRC.
I just upgraded to the recently enhanced version, and no regrets, but YMMV, as always.

I might be interested new version if the filter effects were more subtle and realistic. In free version they are, for todays viewer, obviously digitally manipulated fake polaroids/wet plates etc. Too old party trick.

I might be interested new version if the filter effects were more subtle and realistic. In free version they are, for todays viewer, obviously digitally manipulated fake polaroids/wet plates etc. Too old party trick.

There has always been the option to move sliders in the control window for any preset to adjust the intensity of any effect to taste. However, I'd agree that the default settings for most of the Color Efex and Analog Efex were pretty over the top. But, they've always been adjustable to taste. If still a little Instagram-ish. Silver Efex, however, has always been very nice and as subtle as one could want.

I really like the control point concept so I am not so concerned about the presets and I mainly use Silver Efex. I will download the trial and see how it has changed.

I really like the control point concept so I am not so concerned about the presets and I mainly use Silver Efex. I will download the trial and see how it has changed.

Control points are great. Before I used Nik I used to spend heaps of time in Photoshop using layer masks to apply adjustments and effects selectively. Now its pretty much point and click. It is not as simple as that sounds though - you still have to take care when pursuing a specific outcome and you still have to know your stuff. But both the learning curve and the editing effort are substantially reduced. It makes my life much easier.

Back