Nikkor 5cm f1.1 aperture blade failure?

mthomas

Local time
8:51 AM
Good morning everyone,

I have a chance to buy a locally advertised, internal-mount Nikon 5cm 1.1 (ser#119xxx). It's in really nice condition and I personally know the vendor's reputation to be beyond reproach.

I have dreamt of owning this lens for decades.

However, I also know about this lens's shortcomings, and especially about its propensity to chew up its aperture blades. (https://cameraquest.com/5011.htm). Over the course of many years dealing with the Head Bartender both as a vendor and as a repair shop owner, I have come to trust his bonafides and his published wisdom absolutely. And so, when Stephen advises that the Nikkor 5cm 1.1 should not be regarded as a "user," I take it as gospel.

What prompts me to post, then, are two concerns: 1) Can a close examination of a particular lens' several aperture blades reveal any reliable sign of imminent failure?, and 2) Is any operation whatsoever of any of these old lenses' diaphragms courting disaster?

Thanks, Marc
(P.S: The price is $3,500 US.)

At that price it's a bargain and I was under the impression that if the aperture were changed slowly that things would be OK but I am far from an expert on these. Good Luck, Joe.

1) Can a close examination of a particular lens' several aperture blades reveal any reliable sign of imminent failure?

2) Is any operation whatsoever of any of these old lenses' diaphragms courting disaster?

1. Any oil or other contaminants on the blades is a big no-no with this lens. Even if you can't see any, there may be something hidden in there. When operating the aperture mechanism, if you see forward/backward "buckling" happening, there's a good chance the aperture blades will pop out if the aperture is operated quickly (or even slowly). The blades have to be completely flat as they move over each other.

2. No. I've owned and used this lens for regular shooting. If the blades are clean and you use the lens carefully, you'll be fine. This lens gets a bad wrap, but it's actually a very good lens. Stopped down to f4-f5.6 its very sharp across the entire field and distortion is minimal. And of course wide open it does very funky bokeh.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonmanjiro/6362730625/

My experience owning a copy of this lens, but in a different mount, is similar to Jonmanjiro’s.

My lens came to me with broken blades and after having them replaced (very expensive) it has proven to be a reliable user for years, though I always exercise more caution for the aforementioned reasons.

I’ll add that I’ve noticed a fair amount of sample variation with this lens and have long wondered if many of these were incorrectly polished and re-coated over the years — just a guess.

Thank you very much. This information is extremely useful. I have spent a lifetime researching various subjects, but the dearth of data in this case had me stymied.

At this point, I am inclined to go ahead and consummate the purchase.

Marc

It is a good price. If you become paralyzed with fear for using it, you can most certainly sell it on and get your money back. So, not too much risk....I think?

I agree with Jon. Clean aperture blades should give you no prob. Turn them slowly though, they can pop out of place unexpectedly.

inspect the glass with a light from both ends, looking for element separation, fungus or coating damage.

the 1.1's have more than their share of separation problems and its next to impossible to fix.

even so Nikon RF lenses generally soldier thru the years with a minimum of problems.

Ask about the case, caps and lens hood. Don't overlook them if they are available.

Stephen

Back