Nikon 105mm f2.5 L39 disassembly

Thx for all the tips. Here's full instructions in case anyone need to re-do it

1. Unscrew optical unit by gripping on both silver front and aperture ring set at f32 - silikon pad can be used to grab both (thx Brian for the tip!)

1.jpg

2. Check how focusing unit aligns at infinity

2.jpg

3. Unscrew 3 screws holding the distance ring - it can be removed by gently pulling it up (fits very close)

3.jpg

4. Mark center of bottom ring at infinity to ensure it can be re-installed properly

4.jpg

5. Unscrew 3 screws holding the ring - it can be removed by gently pulling it down (tripod mount must be removed first)

5.jpg

6. Now it's clear how stop screw blocks helicoids

6.jpg

7. Remove stop screw and start unscrewing helicoids - clearly mark where those part - otherwise it will be extremely difficult to put it back right way

7.jpg

8.jpg

8. Plate can be removed by unscrewing 2 screws to give access to full surface of helicoid

9.jpg

9. This is all what is required to clean and re-grease helicoids. I did not touch rangefinder coupling at all during disassembly. After cleaning and regreasing, parts can be put back together in reverse order - infinity setting and aperture setting should align correctly. Helicoids re-assembled without any problems thx to the marked position.

10.jpg

Last edited:
Thankyou for these instructions- I was not able to find anything like this doing a search.

I made this thread a "Sticky" to make it easy to find.

I find the tripod mount is useless and add weight, so I removed it and patched it. It is roughly the same size as Leica 90mmf2

Attachments

• IMG_4737.jpeg
    IMG_4737.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 9
For framing on the Leica- I use the inside border of the 90mm framelines for the 105. At 6ft and further- use it as 100% of the field-of-view. Leica framelines tend to cover less than the actual FOV of the focal length, the 90 is not different. Works out great for 100mm and 105mm lenses.

I'm using it on Canon P so with built in parallax corrected 100mm frameline it's a joy to use - especially that Canon has 1x viewfinder so even 100mm frameline is relatively easy to use.

I also checked it on 24mpix Sony A7III and was quite amazed by sharpness on digital. For film my copy is more sharp then I'd ever need.

Back