Other/Uncategorized Nikon 50mm f/1.4 Sonnar LTM & Nikon S.C 50mm f1.4 for Rangefinder S mount

Other Screw mount bodies/lenses

cyquek

Local time
11:05 AM
Hi All

Been searching for some info and was wondering if anyone can help?

I was thinking of buying the Amedeo adapter to have a s mount nikon SC 50mm f1.4 on my M. But i know that there is also a nikon 50mm f1.4 Sonnar LTM.

My question is, are they effectively the same lens just different mount or completely a different lens?

Thanks!
CY

Yep, same lens different mount. Note that an S-mount lens used on an Amedeo adapter will focus in the opposite direction from an LTM lens (and of course other LTM and M-mount lenses). Some users don't seem to mind, but other users say it drives them nuts. Only you will know which type you are :)

If you already have an adapter, buying an S mount lens could save you some money.

In the 50's, the Nikkor 50/1.4 LTM and Nikon RF versions were made in the same batches, same lens with different mounts.

The 50/1.4 "Olympic" lens released in 1962, and the "Millenium" lens released in 2000 are different formulas and only come in Nikon RF mount.

Roland.

Is there any optical differences between an early all chrome and the later black aperture ring LTM versions?
From the user perspective, no. All rangefinder Nikkor 50/1.4s with the engraving "5cm" are Sonnars and render essentially the same. That said, multiple minor design tweaks to the optics (and barrel designs) were indeed made during the course of production, but any rendering differences are so subtle that you're not going to notice them.

The rangefinder 50/1.4 Nikkors with the engraving "50mm" have a Gauss optical formula and render differently. But none exist in LTM anyway.

I was wondering because I’ve been offered one orf two; an all-silver whose barrel and glass is about as clean as I’ve ever seen and a later version with a black aperture ring in slightly less pristine shape.

So the LTM 50mm f1.4 Nikkor-sc will lose coupling at 1 meters, but can be modified to keep coupling down to 0.7meters. It can technically focus down to about 0.5 meters (no coupling).

The S-mount 50mm f1.4 Nikkor-sc on an Amedeo adapter has coupling and focus to 0.9 meters.

Hope that helps.

To focus down to 0.7m on a Leica M, for example, you will need to grind or cut away some the the mount to allow for the extra RF cam movement. I think Jon posted a thread on how he did this with one of his lenses. Worth a search!

is buying an adaptor and S mount lens cheaper than buying the LTM?

The adaptor is darn expensive too. Someone from Ukraine on ebay told me that he is going to create a cheap copy. I am waiting for it.

There was also a dedicated (50mm lens only) Amadeo adapter. Simplified, cheaper and would couple down to 0.7m and turn the "right" way. I have one for Contax, but I think it was also made for Nikon S.

There is one other adapter option that may be worth exploring if you want to use an S-mount Nikkor SC 5cm f1.4 on an LTM camera. There are adapters for S-mount to LTM which can be found on evilbay. The Head Bartender’s classic lens page on Cameraquest mentions the Orion adapter, which he says is v rare and probably v expensive, but there are others out there that may be more available. I have one made by Kipon that came w/ a Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50/1.5 I purchased from a member here. It is by no means built to the quality of Amedeo adapters, but it works. I used it this summer when I shot my Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50mm f2.0 in S mount on my Leica IIIc. I had no difficulty focusing and the resulting photos turned out well. I have not tried to use it w/ a Nikkor SC 5cm f1.4 yet, but will give it a whirl in the next few weeks.

The Amedeo dedicated 50mm adapter for M-Mount is the best, i have one for Zeiss lenses and NikonS-Mount lenses. Perfect focus from close-up to infinity.

BUT- being a sucker for trying things out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOTOFOX-RF...o-Leica-Mount-SM-M39-L39-Adapter/283341769316

Was dirt cheap. I had to adjust the adapter for external mount lenses and use a sharpie to solve reflection problems with a 8.5cm F4 Triotar.

My Notes: This Chinese adapter does not have an indexed cam, therefore is best used with 50mm Nikon S-Mount lenses and external mount Zeiss Contax lenses. The adapter translates the (about) 270degree motion of the lens to the travel required for a 51.6mm lens.
As received, The external mount did not line up with the lens. The mechanism was about 60degrees out of phase. Then- saw the three set screws on the side of the mount. This allows the external flanges to be moved relative to the helical. I set the mount in a Zeiss 135/4 lens, aligned it all- fastened the screws back down.
The back of the adapter: shiny metal. No paint, no light baffles. The 8.5cm F4 Triotar is an anastigmat, not a telephoto design. Basically, a larger format lens on a 35mm camera. The image circle illuminated the shiny metal of the RF cam of the adapter- unpredictable reflections in the image. I used a Black Sharpie to solve the problem.

Back