Nikon announces full-frame mirrorless camera

Canon slipped from the 5D3 so like 2012. Will it take back the crown in the opening salvo of the great no mirror war between the two giants? Will no mirror be a nail in the coffin for Nikon?

1430 grams and 95mm filter for the 28-70/2. 950 grams for the 50/1.2. The body has (likely) no IBIS. 0.71 magnification. No joystick for AF points, maybe the touchpad instead?

It's cooling down a little bit. More like a 6D III.

1430 grams for the 28-70/2. 950 grams for the 50/1.2. The body has (likely) no IBIS. 0.71 magnification.

It's cooling down a little bit. More like a 6D III.

Surely that weight for the 50mm can't be right? The ef mount 50mm 1.2L is 580g, the fujinon 56mm f1.2 is 450g and that's has a metal casing.

If it is correct, well, no thanks :rolleyes:

Surely that weight for the 50mm can't be right? The ef mount 50mm 1.2L is 580g, the fujinon 56mm f1.2 is 450g and that's has a metal casing.

If it is correct, well, no thanks :rolleyes:

Not confirmed yet, but not surprising if it's true since today's retrofocus 50/1.4 lenses easily weigh that much, if not even more - the Otus and the Leica SL Summilux both weigh over 1kg.

The Canon is rumored to have 15 elements in 9 groups, while the old 50/1.2L has 8 elements in 6 groups. The glass almost doubled!

In addition I would also add that movement (camera or subject) reduces the effectiveness of focus peaking too.

Shawn

True.

With non-AF lenses, subject movement always makes the job harder. There are decades old strategies for using manual focus with moving subjects. These all rely, to some degree. on wide DOFs. There is some degree of compensation for the focus peaking's issues with motion.

Bill, regarding focus peaking stopped down - yes, it is not as obvious where the plane of focus is, but that seems to be the norm for peaking. My NEX7 is the same way, as is my Fuji X gear. My understanding is that it’s because the hard contrast edge between in focus and OOF is less apparent.

The Z almost explodes into focus with my 50/1.2, and the plane of focus was very apparent with my 35/2.8 PC. At 5.6, peaking for each was quite acceptable - and I was probably using default peaking settings, there are at least a few controls for it.

The lens options for that canon blow the Nikon ones out of the water. 28-70mm f2L and a 50mm F1.2L that's probably 1/2 the size of the 58mm noct with AF...

Meh. Not interested for two reasons - I have a metric poopton of Nikkors, and... it’s Canon. ;)

Bill, regarding focus peaking stopped down - yes, it is not as obvious where the plane of focus is, but that seems to be the norm for peaking. My NEX7 is the same way, as is my Fuji X gear. My understanding is that it’s because the hard contrast edge between in focus and OOF is less apparent.

The Z almost explodes into focus with my 50/1.2, and the plane of focus was very apparent with my 35/2.8 PC. At 5.6, peaking for each was quite acceptable - and I was probably using default peaking settings, there are at least a few controls for it.

Wow, that speaks well of the quality of the EVF.

I'm hoping that Nikon will come out a FF at a price delta that the Nikkormat FTn was from the F2 Photomic some years back with the same EVF. While I love my F2 plain prism, my Nikkormats will be a part of me.

Thanks for the opinion, observations, and thoughts.

B2 (;->

All of these cameras will take excellent photos. It just comes down largely to personal taste. Which one are you most likely to pick up and use?
I am most keen on what Panasonic has planned for its announcement on Sept. 25th.
But I don't see how you go wrong with the new Nikon and Canon FF mirrorless cameras.
The current Sony offerings are terrific. I am trading a bunch of gear in now for the A7rIII.

Eric, that’s one of the reasons I’ve really learned to love ML - it makes me want to shoot.

I started with a NEX7 when they first come out. It’s a wonderfully capable camera (even now), but Sony ergos and I just don’t get along. If it was 10% larger I would be a lot better off. But, the NEX showed me how good working with an EVF can be, visualization is much simplified.

When I bought my X-Pro2, it was with the intent of supplementing my Leica M-P 240, but it has actually ended up replacing it (I just need to get off my butt and sell the M-P.) But, to my surprise I find myself using the EVF as much as the OVF - even when I’m shooting with the OVF, I almost always quickly flick over to the EVF to check things out, especially when shooting monochrome.

*That’s* one of the biggest reasons I’m looking forward to the Z. I find the immediacy if a good EVF to be very useful and even inspiring.

Last edited:
Nice new Camera

Made despite the great resistence of Nikon egeniers who only two years ago stated that the best possible way to get a bright and clear viewfinder was the reflex pentaprism.

Sony´s developments made Nikon engeniers to accept their short minded view of future.

Ok, now they have accepted the reailty which is the first step.
And they came off with a great system, theoretically superior compared to Sony´s.

The problem is that Nokon engeniers seem too stuborn!

They accepted the advantage of a short distance from mount to sensor plane which Sony defined at 18mm. So they did it better shortening to 16mm! Great!

They accepted the advantages of a wide opening mount diameter, and they did a wider opening.

But they forgot that the main advantage of such a system is that it could be used as an universal mounting system, accepting pottentially all brands systems and cameras lens made along the full history of photography, of course through the use of adapters.

So what did the Stuborn engeniers from Nikon, they do not want to publish the technical specs of their mount, limiting the possibilities of their own system.

Again Nikon is trying to block the SUN with a finger. No way!
Soon or later several makers will perform reverse engeniering to the nikon Z mount to offer their adapters.... and we will have what we need as photographers.

But wait a minute!

Why would I buy a system from a maker that tries to limit my creativity?
How could be Nikon Company so blid to offer certain advantages to block them in the next step?
Why would I buy a System that has the HIGHEST POTENTIAL if the maker is decided to limit its potential?

Good by Nikon!
I will go with Sony

Ernesto

PS I was a total fan of nikon and was waiting the Mirrorless model since before sony released their E mount, but this is my limit!

How could be Nikon Company so blid to offer certain advantages to block them in the next step?
Why would I buy a System that has the HIGHEST POTENTIAL if the maker is decided to limit its potential?

Good by Nikon!
I will go with Sony.
Or you could just wait for the adapters to appear. You don't have to buy the Nikon the day it comes out.

So what did the Stuborn engeniers from Nikon, they do not want to publish the technical specs of their mount, limiting the possibilities of their own system.

My read is this was marketing speak. Drink the CoolAid and say what we tell you to. Good little engineer, happy we let you see the sun for a few days.....

They want you to by new Z glass or use your newer-old F glass. It's called profit, when every company needs to make.

There will be adapters out there soon. Sound like you can't wait so buy the Sony. When the 3rd parties catch up perhaps you'll sell the Sony and by Nikon.

I think you will see Sony slow down their release of new FF products in about four to five years. Canon and Nikon will get their act together and with Fuji will dominate the space. Sony will stay in, keep running their production lines while folks are buying. It's a cash-cow that they can milk for another six years with the products they have now.

B2 (;->

Sony will eventually walk away from photography, just like they abandoned other product lines. It’s in their corporate DNA, and is the main reason I’m not a Sony fan.

Sony will eventually walk away from photography, just like they abandoned other product lines. It’s in their corporate DNA, and is the main reason I’m not a Sony fan.

I don't know if that's true. People keep saying that Sony isn't a camera company, they're an electronics company, etc. The fact is that Sony has been making cameras for DECADES. Mostly television cameras and camcorders, but those are basically digital cameras.

You are right. I don't get Canon... no ibis, less mpix than Nikon etc.
Canon, what are you doing?

Canon's high pixel count camera will probably have 50MP like the 5Ds. This one is entry level, but comes with the sensor of the 5D4.

It's the price that will have the final say.

I don't know if that's true. People keep saying that Sony isn't a camera company, they're an electronics company, etc. The fact is that Sony has been making cameras for DECADES. Mostly television cameras and camcorders, but those are basically digital cameras.

I agree. I think Sony is deadly serious about its cameras, and is going nowhere. Some folk forget that Sony = Minolta, and bought Konica Minolta’s photography division with all its assets and expertise over a decade ago. Sony also owns 10% of Tamron.

Back