Nikon bought RED

It is an interesting development. Like Thom, I am not sure there are many customer synergies, and it might be harder for Nikon to maintain the RED user base than they think.

And although I hope it keeps Nikon viable, I have no interest in RED, personally, at all. I am a photographer.

I’ve been retired a while now and haven’t been on any cine shoots in a few years but when I was the two dominant cameras were Arri Alexa and Red. I saw more Arri but plenty of Red were used.

I think Nikon had a lot to bring to the table with this purchase. The certainly have the sensor / camera technology for cine use as proven by the D800, D810 and D850. The D800 was quickly adopted by the cine industry and used as a disposable camera to shoot scenes where the camera could be destroyed. The D800 intercut perfectly with the Arri Alexa.

Nikon has that sensor technology and a credible history in the cine industry and could introduce a series of Super Cine lenses for that camera.

I see it as a money maker for them.

I think about Hasselblad being bought by DJI for their sensor technology. I see that same kind of merger between Nikon and Red.

Back