Nikon Coolscan Color Problems

frankienardoz

Local time
7:35 AM
HI GUYS,

I have a big problem with my Nikon Coolscan V ED. I got development and scans in a cheap place and the colors in the scans looked great. I am now trying to scan the images in hi res with my Nikon Coolscan and I notice that the colors are very different and ugly. They look less saturated and with a blue prevalence. I played around with the color balance, curves etc on the coolscan tolls palette but I had very poor results. It almost looks like I was scanning on a wrong film type setting.

Does anyone know a plug in or color calibration or a way to get the color right. Please let me know. I am going crazy!

Thanks in advance.

Frankie

Frankie,

Unless it's giving you an utterly wrong colors, I think your scanner is working with its default settings.

I never correct anything on the image with the scanner software. I just crop the borders and scan. And yes, sometimes the photos are blue-tinted, purple, pink, whatever. That is the film, not the scanner.

After your photos are scanned, use tools like Lightroom or Aperture to do any color correction and other post-processing. Your scanner is just a way to get your film digitized.

Post a sample so we can help you if your scanner is completely off.

Set the scanner color management to 'Apple RGB (compensated)', convert the file that comes out to the color space of your preference in PS or equivalent.

Back