Nikon D300 help please.

G

Hello,
I have just got a used excellent plus D300. At sixty years of age I am not wiz with electronics. My question is can I get it to take a monochrome image as well as a color one being recorded at the same time.
I downloaded the manual and it is huge and rather intimidating, half of the stuff is jibberish to me. I am a Hasselblad and Rolleiflex TLR user with a flip phone, if you get my drift.
Any help appreciated, was it a good choice of digital camera ????
Cheers,
James.

I think so. Haven't tried it, but I think so.

Shoot RAW+JPG with picture control set to B&W. The raw will remain in color (but will show up in B&W with Nikon's software, such as ViewNX).

I have 2 D300 bodies. There are better cameras, but none better enough to pry the cash out of my wallet. Next month will be the 10th anniversary of it's release.

To be honest, I simply shoot in RAW, and do my B&W conversion after the fact. I do remember someone mentioning the use raw with monochrome picture controls for the preview so that he could judge the tonal range of the image at time of capture.

I hope this helps!

The D300 is a pro level crop camera so yes a great digital camera...even after 10 years. Beautiful results from the sensor. Built like a tank. Ken Rockwell could probably be useful for you in so far as how to set the rig up.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/users-guide/d300.pdf

Once you figure it out and get comfortable with it open up a flickr account and pm me when you are ready to learn how to post pictures. Because we want to see them! :)

I am even older than the original poster :)) Acquired a used D300 a few years ago. Not into Raw but you can convert color pix from color in Photoshop or just set the camera to B+W. It's a great machine but I am still learning. Had a D70s previously.

Back