Nikon Mirrorless - What would you like to see?

Full frame mirrorless that concentrates on decent sized bodies (x-pro/leica M/fm2n size) with small, fast, metal build lenses, manual controls (aperture ring and shutter speed dial). Basically a digital SP/FM. Use a high quality EVF. Use a deeper body/longer flange/tuned micro lenses on the sensor than the Sony A7's so the lenses don't have to be so enormous compared to the body. Design by giugiaro, no more plastic blob ergonomics. Bodies and lenses made in japan. Go back to NIKON quality from earlier decades.

Basically cannibalise your DSLRs nikon. It's only a matter of time before you will have to anyway. The days of the DSLR have passed.

I would like to see a Nikon full frame mirrorless camera with an M lens mount, that has simple controls and looks like a Nikon SP on the exterior.

Ditto what Tim said. And still waiting to see the DL series of compact 1-inch sensor cameras. :eek:

I'd like to see them fix the Nikon 1 system.

- Nikon 1 V4 with higher ISO capabilities
- Nikon 1 series prime lenses, fix the issues with the rear group failures (aperture locking up fully closed).
- Introduce a few more bright primes (13mm f1.4, 39mm f2.0, a new 10mm f1.8) And again, get the reliability up there with Nikon's regular lens line.

I've found the Nikon 1 system to be fantastic, when it's working. Super fast autofocus, a couple/three beautiful primes, 10mm, 18.5mm, 32mm. If they could fix the reliability problems, and get better high ISO out of the sensor, it would be a really great system.

Best,
-Tim

Finding the right niche

Finding the right niche

If Nikon goes the route of building a mirrorless system based on the F-mount, there's no getting around the flange distance issue and thus these cameras are still going to be fairly large. Nikon already has plenty of SLR bodies to satisfy customer base willing to carry around these larger systems.

As others have suggested, why not a mirrorless system based on a short flange distance? I'd be concerned that if Nikon goes that route and compliments it with a new line of Nikkor lenses, we'll be waiting years before we see anything more than a couple of zoom lenses and a prime or two. So how about Nikon building a mirrorless system based on the M-mount? Nikon could pay Cosina to build the new line of Nikkor M-mount lenses, but in the meantime we'd have all the existing M-mount lenses to choose from. :)

I would like to see a Nikon full frame mirrorless camera with an M lens mount, that has simple controls and looks like a Nikon SP on the exterior.

Maybe they could modify the M mount to provide electronic linkage to their own range of M mount lenses while at the same time providing compatibility to existing M mount optics, assuming of course that this is technically possible.

Maybe they could modify the M mount to provide electronic linkage to their own range of M mount lenses while at the same time providing compatibility to existing M mount optics, assuming of course that this is technically possible.

Anything is possible, but I highly doubt that Nikon would ever use some other manufacture's lens mount, ... oh wait, they did use the Zeiss Contax RF lens mount at one time didn't they?

There are plenty enough nice mirrorless systems around so we don't need another one. What Nikon must make is a solid FF 24MP DSLR the size of the FM2 with the fewest buttons, a real 100% viewfinder comparable to the F801s one and real interchangeable focusing screens so that MF is really possible. Other than that, Nikon has nothing new to offer. Especially if it's to copy Sony or Fuji now.

Take the Df, remove the prism and add an EVF in the top corner and they'd be 90% of the way there.

Nikon has a dedicated following among just about every part of photography, leverage it. My guidance to Nikon is to focus on what you have and make it better, find niches you can leverage and OWN one or two.

First, focus on the 1 Series, it should be the fastest hit. As mentioned before you need some GREAT prime lenses. Not a lot but they have to be world class. Correcting distortion on wide primes in software is not what I want to spend my money on. Start with 10/2.8, 19/1.4, 32/1.8. I’d also like to see an F adapter that used AI (and/or AIs) and allowed for wide open viewing/focusing. If you use an electromagnet to open the aperture then turning off the power should close down quick enough. From there I’d focus on a group of fast wide primes that focus close, low to no distortion and not too big. Keep doing zooms, but the niche you can build is in primes that are world class. Also make sure you have a hot shoe for flash and folks who want to use brightline finders.

Yes, a FF Mirrorless is great but you need to excite the market with something to build volume without investing big time.

After that start with the DF body and get rid of the buttons. Keep the shutter speed dial and do the rest on touch screen. Yes they are bigger than the Fuji’s but Nikon has so much great glass out there to leverage in F mount I think it would sell well. Make sure you can use the legacy glass. Frankly I’d make a EVF that clipped on the top that looks like a FTn prism.

Long term they should build an EVF that is a hybrid, optical for 1:1 viewing and projects frame lines in dimmable red or green. Something like a red dot scope does for pistols and carbines but framelines, not a dot. That would work for up to 50, remember how much fun the S2 was?

B2 (;->

I can't see Nikon (or Canon) releasing a full-frame replacement for their full-frame DSLR's just yet. (This market segment is small, and since Canikon already owns it, I doubt Nikon feels much competitive pressure in this area.)

However, that being said, there is no doubt that Fuji/Olympus/Sony are biting at the heels of Nikon's APS market share, and this is where they need to respond.

That is, the release of an exiting and compelling APS mirrorless camera with a basic complement (at introduction) of reasonable size (F2 or slower) lenses. An "E" adapter will provide full compatibility with existing electronic aperture Nikkors. (It is unrealistic to expect full compatibility with "G" and older lenses.)

Naturally, this camera will need to be spec competitive with the latest generation of uber-cameras from Fuji/Olympus/Sony.

Nikon has a huge brand recognition advantage over the "little-guys", they need to reward this brand loyalty, and soon.

Ahh, Nikon Mirrorless, the perpetual question!

The next Nikon Mirrorless camera will be the D3x00 series. They will just remove the mirror and put an EVF in instead of the pentamirror. It will be a cost cutting exercise. The D5x00 will follow.

Without the mirror in the way, lenses can be mage that go a long way inside the body, thus making the overall package smaller and keeping the F mount. Nikon have a lot of brand loyalty, but they got it by keeping the same lens mount forever. They're not going to change that - even when they should. They're not going to cannibalize their own products - even though they should.

With all this talk of when Nikon is going to introduce a "pro" FF mirrorless body, why would they? They already have a great range of "pro" FF bodies that are fast and capable.
Why must it be mirrorless? What do you gain?

Do you just want it to be smaller? You're limited by the lens and the battery in the end - the mirror box is pretty small. You end up with a tiny A7 style body with monstrous lenses attached and 1/3 of the battery life.

Do you want video? Nikon has never put any real effort into that, and I doubt that'll change.

IMHO, they need to get the DL's out, and then work on expanding that range so it replaces the CX mount. A 28 or 35 eq fixed lens DL would be neat.

Anybody remember the Nikon Pronea line of cameras? A killer little system of cameras and lenses that should have kept APS film going for a while longer, but too many things were against it, not the least of which was the encroaching dawn of digital photography.

Nikon designed a whole new batch of lenses for the Pronea's, with their own design that made it impossible to use them on any other Nikon camera, though you could use AF-D series lenses on the Pronea.

The first model Pronea was a tour de force as far as I'm concerned, with plenty of controls utilizing a large master LCD panel on the back of the camera. But the lenses seemed cheap, and in most respects they were, even using molded plastic elements in some models. That was all to fit a price point, and I feel Nikon is not comfortable enough right now to relive what happened when they finally jumped into the lake with all the other fishes.

They are late to the show again, and they are having trouble coming to grips with designing a system that would make you forget about Fuji or Sony. And making it work with the F mount.

PF

First, focus on the 1 Series, it should be the fastest hit. As mentioned before you need some GREAT prime lenses. Not a lot but they have to be world class. Correcting distortion on wide primes in software is not what I want to spend my money on. Start with 10/2.8, 19/1.4, 32/1.8. ...
From there I’d focus on a group of fast wide primes that focus close, low to no distortion and not too big. ...

The money spent to for a TV/movie star to endorse the 1 Series is evidence what market demographic Nikon was after with the 1 Series. The problem is Nikon does has decided serious photographers (define serious however you wish) must use 24 X 36 mm media formats. While I agree with your advice, Nikon would have to completely reverse their marketing philosophy to rejuvenate the 1 Series. That ship has sailed.

Is Nikon too proud to emulate Fujifilm?

Is Nikon brave/wise/flexible enough to offer a 24 X 36 mm mirrorless system?

Right now the answers seem to be 'yes' and 'no'.

Here is Nikon's five year stock chart. Their stock price has halved since highs seen in 2012. During the same period the NIKKEI 225 index doubled.

if it's just to fix the 1 series:

rangefinder-style body with built-in EVF and IBIS. controls like fuji.
comprehensive set of ultrafast prime lenses (f/1 and 1.4) and pro zooms (f/2).
fewer megapixels, better ISO and dynamic range.

if it's to start a whole new system:

full frame, rangefinder-style body with built-in EVF and IBIS.
leaf shutter lenses, 1/1600.

With all this talk of when Nikon is going to introduce a "pro" FF mirrorless body, why would they? They already have a great range of "pro" FF bodies that are fast and capable. Why must it be mirrorless? What do you gain?

Apart from size you gain lighter weight, quiet vibrationless shooting (no mirror clack) and the ability to see near as dammit what the end result will be. In other words, you can easily see if you're over/under exposing, white balance etc. Once you have tried mirrorless it's hard to go back.

Well, if the DL cameras could be actually released - that might be very positive step to cover the bottom end of the market. Then, in the bottom middle, mirrorless DX (replaces D3XXX), in the upper middle mirrorless FX (replaces DF, and D750). Top DSLRs (DX and FX) all stay. Maybe the D5XXX could hang on for a bit.

Copying Fuji control points would be just fine with me, although I suspect Nikon's pride won't allow that. Give us full adapters for all legacy Nikon glass. (The FT-1 worked great on the N1 until they got all nannyish about using big lenses on the little camera.) Although the N1 system had it's flaws (and appears to have failed), I bet Nikon learned a bunch about mirrorless.

Wouldn't it be fun to use Nikon Rangefinder glass on a Nikon mirrorless body? And then switch right over to modern, fast, AF lenses?

Back