Nikon rangefinder 135 f4

enotslliw

Established
Local time
10:34 PM
the letters around the front rim have lost most of their paint: Nippon Kogku Toyko #90414 NIKKOR-Q.C. 1:4 1 -13.5 cm. The hood I think is original but the bottom cap is who knows. No click stops from 16 to 4. Distance from 5 to INF. feet and below that in small caps is MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN. Fits my thread mount Leicas and has a mount for a tripod. I have used this lens happily for the last several years but have not been able to find much info about it in the available references. The uncommon 135 4 is in S mount but otherwise looks like this including the hood. Seeking info.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
I had one in the "all black" finish, that came with a Contax IIIa that I inherited and was clearly not compatible with the Contax (wouldn't focus to infinity.) I sold it to an RFF member in Sweden, and bought a DR for my Leica with the money. Very nice lens, and very smooth focusing as I remember.

Look at Cameraquest dot com. They have a large section on classic cameras. If I remember rightly, the 135 f4 was the first version of the lens. It was soon replaced by the much more common 135 f3.5 . A heavy lens, it was later made in a lighter black and chrome version. Early 3.5 lenses di not have aperature click stops but later ones did. A Sonnar design, I think. I have one in Nikon S and one in Leica screw thread. Fine lenses. The hood can hold a filter. Enjoy and welcome to the forum. Joe

The lens you have is a very early 135 , the made in occupied Japan engraved on the barrel is the clue .
The 904 series of 135's was less than 1000 pieces according to Nikon rangefinder cameras by rotoloni .
They were split between Nikon and Leica type mount .
The 904 indicates the design date or perhaps first production .
Early lenses , 9 was 1949 04 was April .
The numbers after that are the serial /number made
Hope this helps
It's not real valuable - interesting though.
Looks like #14 made in the 904 sequence
There was an earlier lens started with 6xxxx
Same 135 f4
So yours is in the second batch .
This is according to the reference I have .
Others may know more

Now you need to find the collector that has 90413 or 90415 and you are in business.
Just kidding.
:)

attachment.php

I have seen a few of these in this very same batch, they are very interesting, there may be more than just two mounts too! I have seen one in Bronica mount!
I know 9044 and it's in Nikon S-mount and I know 90444 and that is screw-mount.
Yours falls right in between. I have not seen any other ones in between 9044 to 90444 until you showed us yours, may be Bob Rotoloni has more numbers recorded.
The highest number I have recorded is 904626 , so the 1000 figure posted above is about right, I can also figure the low end of that estimate as 500 since there were always gaps within the serial numbers that were used compared to the ones produced.

Looks like the correct hood and rear cap, I have not seen rear caps that were marked NK in this mount.

Kiu

the 135mm f4 Nikkor

the 135mm f4 Nikkor

Nippon Kogaku sold the 135mm f4 Nikkor in both 'S' and Leica thread mount from November 1948 until sometime in early 1951. The later lenses were mostly sold through the PXs since the 135mm f3.5 was already available. This lens would be quite early for the 904XXX series. The MIOJ engraving on the lens barrel disappeared in 1950, so this lens probably dates to winter-spring of 1950.
Not a common lens but should yield good pictures. Heavy, though.
Lens formula is copy of the 135mm Sonnar. WES

I'll bring this back from the dead.

I bought a lot of LTM gear, and in it was this lens, only in S mount. I thought it was the common 135/3.5, and stuck it on a shelf. I picked it up the other day, and realized it was the 135/4 Nikkor Q.C., No. 524028. I assume this is a later version of this lens–does it hold any value among Nikon collectors?

Thanks!

The 524xxx batch remains kind of a mystery, not many have been recorded at all. It is later production than the 904xxx batch.
I have recorded one example, also in Nikon mount. 524009

Thanks for sharing this, now I know there's more than one.

As for value, it's hard to say when there are no examples to go by. Collectors pay extra for mint examples, a well used example is not sought after too much.
Probably worth 5 times a regular 3.5

Kiu

OK, I'll see if this thread can be revived once more. I've an all black Nikkor-S 135mm F4 bellows lens with an S mount. It comes with a BR1 extension tube and is meant for mounting on an F camera via bellows. It uses a 43mm filter and has full-stop clicks on the aperture ring. Does this lens share the same Sonnar design?

Bellows mount 135mm Nikkor

Bellows mount 135mm Nikkor

This lens came out in early 1958. It is a Tessar formula and has no relationship to the earlier 135mm f4s of the late 1940s. WES

Back