Nikon S2/3 with Zeiss-Opton 35mm Biogon f2.8

Tim V

Local time
12:07 AM
Hi again, all.

Ive got one more question re. Nikon S2 / 3 cameras before I jump in and test the water…

I’ll most likely buy an S2 with 50mm lens, but would also like to use my beautiful Contax RF Zeiss-Opton 35mm Biogon with external VF.

My question is in relation to my understanding that this lens mounts differently to the 50mm (external mount?), and that it has its own dedicated focusing helical. Does this mean that there are no focusing issues with this pairing, or am I missing something and there’s still a small discrepancy due to something like flange distance?

Who has success with this combo, and if there is a focusing discrepancy as with longer lenses how obvious actually is it?

thanks!

Tim

It’s wide enough at 35mm that the depth of field at f2.8
covers focus differance issues between Nikon & contax
camera
I used an option biogon on an s2 back in the 1990’s
make sure both the lens & camera body are set for infinity before mounting otherwise it may not come back off
ive had some prewar biogon that go on Nikon body’s stiff the option biogon s didnt

It attaches on the outside (external) mount but all of these lenses still connect with the camera via the internal part of the mount. You might see the difference in focusing at close distances wide open, but most of the time you probably won’t notice with this lens.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I’m guessing focusing using issues are due to the travel distance of the mechanism that controls the rangefinder patch then? If the lens focuses internally with an inbuilt helical, it must be a mismatch with that control then.

thanks for the replies.

t

I’m guessing focusing using issues are due to the travel distance of the mechanism that controls the rangefinder patch then? If the lens focuses internally with an inbuilt helical, it must be a mismatch with that control then.

I'll summon Sonnar Brian for the full explanation, but yes, this is basically what the problem is. Nikon and Leica used one standard focal length for the rangefinder, and the Contax, FED and Zorki systems use another. The rangefinder mechanism has to translate the lens' movement to the rangefinder, and it uses that standard focal length as a reference point, meaning while the two camps share lens mounts, the lenses don't focus accurately without modification.

Also, for what it's worth - and bearing in mind I've never used a Nikon RF - when I used the Soviet version of the lens you're talking about (the Jupiter 12) in "LTM", I could definitely see it back-focusing on a Leica or Canon compared to on a FED or Zorki. I'd expect to find the same if I put my Contax version on a Nikon as the difference in rangefinder setups are identical, regardless of the difference in mount.

Yup. I put a Jupiter-12 (Soviet Biogon) on my S3 and it works just fine and dandy. Any focus difference is subsumed in the depth of field, so I get pretty decent results. When I don't, it's the photographer not the camera. Ha!
20220111_113424.jpg

You will have no problem at all mountaining the Biogon 35 on a Nikon S2 and the focusing issues between Nikon and Contax RF mounts are only material with 50mm and longer focal lengths. I have an S2 and use the Biogon 35/2.8 on it all the time. No issues and it’s a great shooting combo.

The Riders by Steve Macfarlane, on Flickr

Two great lenses on the S2 are the Nikkor 35mm f1.8 and the S Skopar 50mm f2.5. The S Skopar is the sharpest 50mm I have. The Nikkor 35mm f1.8 is pricey but is worth it.

gelatin silver print (s skopar 50mm f2.5) nikon s2

Erik.

48011712358_c0bb3fe5a2_h.jpg

FYI
Distance to focal plane measured in 50mm lens for Contax mount and Nikon RF mount.
http://zeisscamera.com/articles_cnrfdr.shtml

The author states

>quote

"My experience with setting the focal point of the Sonnar 50 mm f1.5 lens on Contax cameras is that it is possible to see the focus difference in a difference of about 2 inches around the exact focus point. Using the data from the graph it can be seen that if a Sonnar which is set for good infinity focus on a Contax is used on a Nikon the focus will be off by about 25 feet at infinity, 10 feet at 100 feet and then declining down to about a foot off at close distances. This will be very noticeable."

>unquote

Back