Nikon s3 2000 meter

Fraser

Well-known
Local time
5:10 AM
I've always had Leica Ms but have also had an itch to try a Nikon RF, I have been tempted by a black paint s3 2000. Does the s3 2000 have a built in meter I'm guessing it doesn't ?
Cheers Frase.

I use Nikon rangefinders ( two S3s and an SP) and they are all meterless by design.
On the upside they are extremely rugged, mechanically and optically reliable and require very little in the way of maintenance.
Their downside is a weak rangefinder patch (when compared to those of Leicas and Cosina-Voigtlanders) and a limited array of lenses (again compared to what is available through CV for their bodies and Leicas).
Still, once you are used to the patch they are very easy to use, and with only a few lens exceptions a vastly more financially reasonable rangefinder system than Leica.

Keep in mind that all dials in the Nikon RF camera turn the opposite direction from the Leica camera. If you want to open a lens, you'll be closing it. And then forget about the easy turn of the shutterspeed dial...

Now, I have an S2, and if I use it for long (and I speak from experience; I took it on a trip for five weeks), you kind of forget how to use a Leica.

Why don't you try a Nikon S2 if you're curious? It'd be a smaller investment and you could resell it any time.

The only metered film camera for Nikon rangefinder lenses the Voigtlander Bessa R2S. I must admit I have never tried one nor had any desire to on account of their downright ugliness.

https://www.cameraquest.com/voigt_r2s_r2c.htm

A much better solution, imo, as susggested above is a VC II meter on your proposed S3 2002. Here's mine, just to persuade you. :)

ds_DSD_2542copy_zps0918b64d.jpg

Keep in mind that all dials in the Nikon RF camera turn the opposite direction from the Leica camera. If you want to open a lens, you'll be closing it. And then forget about the easy turn of the shutterspeed dial...

Now, I have an S2, and if I use it for long (and I speak from experience; I took it on a trip for five weeks), you kind of forget how to use a Leica.

Why don't you try a Nikon S2 if you're curious? It'd be a smaller investment and you could resell it any time.

I suppose I could try an s2 first, thing about the s3 2000 is its still a quite a new camera would be nice to be the first user of an old manual camera if you know what I mean. It's also quite a good deal considering your getting a 50mm 1.4 with it.

The only metered film camera for Nikon rangefinder lenses the Voigtlander Bessa R2S. I must admit I have never tried one nor had any desire to on account of their downright ugliness.

https://www.cameraquest.com/voigt_r2s_r2c.htm

A much better solution, imo, as susggested above is a VC II meter on your proposed S3 2002. Here's mine, just to persuade you. :)

ds_DSD_2542copy_zps0918b64d.jpg

Very nice:)

No doubt a black paint modern S3 or similar M4 would prove to be hand candy, but for the same money one could get a good S2 with all the lenses it likes + a Varifocal + a CV hotshoe meter, with money left over for popcorn.

A CVII meter in the accessory shoe is accurate and very handy, but you've gotta admit it makes a pretty camera look, um... rather uggggly :eek::D:p

Personally, I'd prefer to get a handheld meter (I use a Sekonic L-308S) and meter only when needed.

A CVII meter in the accessory shoe is accurate and very handy, but you've gotta admit it makes a pretty camera look, um... rather uggggly :eek::D:p

Personally, I'd prefer to get a handheld meter (I use a Sekonic L-308S) and meter only when needed.
+1

And : the CV meter doesn't do incident metering, so a small handheld meter is a better choice.

You can look at either the Gossen Digisix or the Sekonic L-208, both are excellent with different pros and cons, at different prices too.

the metering is not really a deal breaker as the current leica Ms I have don't have meters. My real problem is I like black paint cameras too much, I wish i didn't but I do!
I could always buy a chrome original sp and repaint it I suppose thats what I did with my M2.

S2 vs S3 - I own both, but both have their quirks. For instance the shutter dial on the S2 is clunky to say the least, but it's viewfinder is perfect for 50mm. The S3 is better set for 35mm viewfinder and it's shutter dial is far easier to use.

+1

And : the CV meter doesn't do incident metering, so a small handheld meter is a better choice.

You can look at either the Gossen Digisix or the Sekonic L-208, both are excellent with different pros and cons, at different prices too.

I use a meter app in my phone. It costs $4.

I also use the S3 2000 with the VCII, but lately I prefer using my Sekonic L858DU. The VCII can be tricky to use in some lighting situations, and I agree with Jon - the camera doesn't look that great with it. My camera all of a sudden looks like something out of Star Wars!

I'll throw my opinion into this old thread. I use my phone or a Sekonic L-358 with my S3 Limited. But a huge advantage of the Nikon RFs is that you can walk around with the camera in one hand and the meter in the other! Once the aperture is set (or you can adjust it while holding the meter pretty easily), the camera can be completely operated in the right hand. So carrying an external meter is much easier than with a Leica, which really requires both hands.

Back