Nikon S3M

UV76

Established
Local time
8:30 PM
Half frame photography using S3M + W-Nikkor 3.5cm f2.5, Fujicolor 100 at a railway crossing in Tokyo

51702015955_4efc2f9e3e_z.jpg

51701125791_169ef5f16e_z.jpg

51701125671_eed0108c0c_z.jpg

51701407848_1d33ce2a1d_z.jpg

51701407873_74fa56faae_z.jpg

51702015560_a515abd9ba_z.jpg

Nice shots, great color rendition! The S3M is a rare camera in the USA. Are they available for sale in Japan? What do they cost if you don't mind me asking.

Under 200 cameras were produced, so the price for such a camera is almost certainly in the five figure range. Not exactly a daily shooter, I would guess :eek: I have never seen images made with one!

Nice shots, great color rendition! The S3M is a rare camera in the USA. Are they available for sale in Japan? What do they cost if you don't mind me asking.

Thank you. The pricing for S3M in Japan is roughly the same as other parts of the world including the US and Europe. Certainly not a daily shooter camera given its value in the five figure range, but it has been serviced and all functions run smooth as butter, and is film tested once in a while.

Ever notice how 35mm half frame users comfortably shoot in portrait orientation much of the time. While full frame users seem to favor landscape. Not sure why but for decades I’ve had both Pen F and OM systems and find myself doing that. I’ve speculated it may be because of the difference in ratios, 3:4 is shorter than 2:3, numerically not a big difference but visually very much so, to my eyes at least.

Under 200 cameras were produced, so the price for such a camera is almost certainly in the five figure range. Not exactly a daily shooter, I would guess :eek: I have never seen images made with one!

Too bad they didn't make a few more, it's actually an excellent performing camera.

Ever notice how 35mm half frame users comfortably shoot in portrait orientation much of the time. While full frame users seem to favor landscape. Not sure why but for decades I’ve had both Pen F and OM systems and find myself doing that. I’ve speculated it may be because of the difference in ratios, 3:4 is shorter than 2:3, numerically not a big difference but visually very much so, to my eyes at least.

I have used Petri Half and Yashica Half cameras in the past and know exactly what you mean. 35mm half frame (3:4 aspect ratio) is slightly shorter than 35mm full frame (2:3) but ideal for portrait shots. I have also noticed talking to younger "smartphone native" generation that they are so used to shooting 3:4 aspect ratio on their smartphones hence comfortably shoot in portrait orientation and try out their first film camera from half frame cameras.

Back