Nikon SP black paint (original) serial numbers and production batches?

SimonPJ

Well-known
Local time
8:06 PM
Hello all. I have been doing my best via Google to dig up information about Nikon SP black paint serial numbers and production numbers, but have so far come up with very limited information. The Nikon books that I have also don’t have anything to say on this topic (including the earlier version of Rotoloni).

Can anybody point me to any onlines source that provides information about serial numbers or batches, and overall production numbers and timeframes?

Many thanks,

SimonIMG_3550.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all. I have been doing my best via Google to dig up information about Nikon SP black paint serial numbers and production numbers, but have so far come up with very limited information. The Nikon books that I have also don’t have anything to say on this topic (including the earlier version of Rotoloni).

Can anybody point me to any onlines source that provides information about serial numbers or batches, and overall production numbers and timeframes?

Many thanks,

Simon
That's a really nice rig.

Page 13 of the 77th issue of the Nikon Journal (September 2002) has a complete listing of known black Nikon rangefinder cameras at that time. The listing does not break out the numbers by production lots, but they are in order, so it is possible to determine the lots from the serial numbers. The first lot of 400 SPs had 50 black bodies (6200035-6200084). After that they appeared in lots of about 100. Page 124 of Bob's current book covers black SPs by the lots. Your camera would be from lot 10, fairly late. It should have the titanium foil shutter.

Page 13 of the 77th issue of the Nikon Journal (September 2002) has a complete listing of known black Nikon rangefinder cameras at that time. The listing does not break out the numbers by production lots, but they are in order, so it is possible to determine the lots from the serial numbers. The first lot of 400 SPs had 50 black bodies (6200035-6200084). After that they appeared in lots of about 100. Page 124 of Bob's current book covers black SPs by the lots. Your camera would be from lot 10, fairly late. It should have the titanium foil shutter.
Many thanks for that information Wes. My camera has cloth shutter curtains, so maybe the titanium ones were replaced at some stage.

Many thanks for that information Wes. My camera has cloth shutter curtains, so maybe the titanium ones were replaced at some stage.
The number is in the range from the 2022 issue of the Nikon Journal. There is a SP with the number 6212178 closest to yours.
You can also send an email with a photo to Robert Rotoloni, he continues to update his list. A more interesting question, does it have a motor plate?

The number is in the range from the 2022 issue of the Nikon Journal. There is a SP with the number 6212178 closest to yours.
You can also send an email with a photo to Robert Rotoloni, he continues to update his list. A more interesting question, does it have a motor plate?
That’s good to know. Many thanks. I will email Robert Rotoloni.

And, yes, it does have a motor plate.

Back