Nikon SP S3 S4 Rapidwinder Prototypes

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
4:24 PM
see http://www.ajaxnetphoto.blogspot.com/

this is Jonathan Eastland's blog mostly about Leica related stuff, including the RD-1 and new Panasanic L-1.

good reading and very interesting

however take a close look at the 2nd pic in the May 17th article. Not mentioned in the mass of RF equipt are two of Tom Abrahamsson's Nikon SP's fitted with prototype versions of his NRF Rapidwinder. Tom is not yet made up his mind whether he will produce it commercially. If you have interest, inquire at www.rapidwinder.com IF he does offer it, you will have to supply a sacrificial S2, S3, S4 or SP camera back for the conversion.

Stephen

Here is one of Tom's S3's with a prototype rapidwinder, on his person. The modification involved bolting a machined winder housing to the baseplace.

Ed

Attachments

• EPSN5548.jpg
    EPSN5548.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
I've got my own Nikon Guru here in Toronto (Raymond Fung of Winball Camera Repair) who looks after my motorized F, motorized F2, motorized FA, a whole mountain of AI and AIS Nikkors, and now my vintage S3. I've already spoken to him about turning one of my F-36's into an S-36. He's indicated that he can do it, and, I'll likely get him to do it in the next little while. I'd much rather have a battery-driven motor on my S3 than a spring-loaded trigger-winder.

Fred,
I've got two motorized F's, so using one F36 and the motor plate from the camera body is no problem.
And before allowing this project to commence, I'll have a meeting with Mr.Fung to ensure that there a no surprises or impossibly rare missing pieces required to finish the job.
My vintage S3 has a cloth shutter, but if I go all the way and have this done, I'll probably have Mr. Fung take an F shutter and drop it into the S3.

Back