Nikon Z users: what about your legacy glass?

I've used the Nikkor 24/2.8 that came on an FE I bought and the CV 58/1.4 FE that the Head Bartender sold me. Both were superb on the Z7, I've not tried them on the Zfc, it's kind of the stepchild of my gear. To be perfectly honest, I don't like the FTZ adapter, it makes an already bulky arrangement even worse. The best set up I've used is the Fotodiox M to Z adapter and struggle with full manual.

Due to the flange distance I find adapting SLR lenses to be mostly not worth it. Fun, but not something I do a whole lot.

I think there are a few places where it makes a lot of sense. For example, if I had the sort of autofocus lenses from the prior generation where I could make use of that via adapter. As an example the Nikon 105mm f1.4. I note from Nikon's own compatibility list that most of their lenses targeted at professionals seem to be represented as having compatibility. Plus you get the very accurate sensor autofocus, so that's cool. Those lenses are already huge so the adapter doesn't add much length. It might keep you from having to buy a Z mount equivalent (if it exists) which is great of course.

Another case would be macro or other live view applications where you would be tripod mounted or otherwise mostly stationary. Here, I'm not entirely sure it's worth it, necessarily, but maybe you have a special application optic or something you're really attached to. Perhaps a special portrait lens that is part of a signature look. Again, these situations have compromises built in that easily wash out the adapter.

Most cases I feel like you are going to feel the compromise. That's ok though. I've done it and certainly liked the results. In the past, I preferred adapted lenses because I was not a huge fan of the rendering of a lot of the good Canon/Nikon/Sony lenses. Now, I adapt lenses from time to time for nostalgia, and am actually quite happy with the rendering of the Z lenses.

In regards to sharpness of these lenses on high resolution sensors, I agree with the folks who suggest it simply does not matter. Don't adapt boring lenses because they will be less sharp, not autofocus, not be weather sealed, etc. Pixel level sharpness doesn't matter much for a vintage 50/1.2 does it? I can't say I think it does. A bunch of lenses that are absolutely terrible by today's standards made photographs that are not only wonderful photographs but still look good at sensible print sizes. Drag the contrast slider to the right (or don't), it'll be fine. Just my opinion.

I will note that the Nikon FTZ adapter is frustrating to me. It's pretty expensive for what it is. On the other hand, it's going to work well. I have a few adapters from other brands, mostly expensive ones, and the quality is variable. A metabones I have is clearly not machined quite properly in the bayonet part and so that one was a write-off. Novoflex seems solid though. The Nikon one just works, there is some value to that.

Back