Nikon Z6 / Z7 Photos....

Vince Lupo

Nobody's Mentor
Local time
12:14 AM
I just picked a Z7 up this week, along with the 50/1.8 lens. it is quite the camera!

Thought I'd start a Z6/Z7 image thread, for those of you who have taken the plunge into this series of cameras.

One of my first shots -- wide open at f/1.8.

Lee Z7
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Initially I bought the camera for work, but it might just - just - be a future replacement to my Leicas. Seriously thinking about it!

Hey Vince,

Nice shot.

Have had a Z6 for almost a year now, it's a seductive camera. The fact that you can adapt pretty much any lens you own to it, and it's such a breeze to manual focus, it really can replace so many other cameras.

Hope you have fun with yours.

Best,
-Tim

Very nice Vince...
Soft, refined, lovely gradations in tones

What lens
And which lenses do You plan on experimenting with ?

Very nice Vince...
Soft, refined, lovely gradations in tones

What lens
And which lenses do You plan on experimenting with ?

Many thanks Helen - actually I think I’m going to work with the Z-mount primes. I have the 50/1.8, and I’ll be picking up the 35/1.8 as well as the 85/1.8. For work I’ll take advantage of all my F-mount lenses, and will be adding the D850 to my work kit as well. This is the year that all my Nikon bodies get updated!

My thought is to also use this out West next time instead of my Leica kit. I’m going to do some side by side tests with the Monochrom and see how the prints compare.

One thing that I did have to do was to upgrade all my software - new operating system, new ACR and of course PhotoShop CC. Still trying to navigate through this new version, as I’ve been working in CS5 for years.

People say these Nikons are better non Leica FF mirrorless cameras to use M Leica lenses on, better than Sony or Canon's FF mirrorless cameras.

Vince, I agree. I’ll bet there are a lot of Leica users who would get a “Z”series NIKON instead of a Leica mirrorless Camera if they ever had an opportunity to try the Nikon for a short time. The bonus is the beautiful results from other brands of lenses on the “Z”, but also including earlier Nikon glass. I love the results from R lenses and my CZ 35mm Flektogon in M42 mount. I too have the Nikon 50mm F1.8 prime “s” mount for Z camera and it is every bit as advertised.

Vince, I agree. I’ll bet there are a lot of Leica users who would get a “Z”series NIKON instead of a Leica mirrorless Camera if they ever had an opportunity to try the Nikon for a short time. The bonus is the beautiful results from other brands of lenses on the “Z”, but also including earlier Nikon glass. I love the results from R lenses and my CZ 35mm Flektogon in M42 mount. I too have the Nikon 50mm F1.8 prime “s” mount for Z camera and it is every bit as advertised.

Yes those Z lenses seem to get great reviews. I only have the 50mm at the moment, but wide open it is fantastic. One of the things that I appreciate about this camera is all the focus points (I think there are 493?), so I don't have to focus and recompose. The other thing I appreciate is the fact that it uses the same batteries as my D800's.

It's definitely a tempting alternative to my Leicas, though I am still devoted to them. It will be interesting, however, to see how a print from the Z7 compares to a print from my Monochrom 246.

....... I’ll bet there are a lot of Leica users who would get a “Z”series NIKON instead of a Leica mirrorless Camera if they ever had an opportunity to try the Nikon for a short time. ......

Just as a personal observation, which might apply to no one but myself, not flaming, but I replaced a Leica SL 601 with the Nikon Z7, and could not be happier, either with the obvious sensor upgrade, (which is not in any way a Sony sensor as others have surmised, but from Tower Jazz, fwiw) or the handling. And, I really liked the SL. Getting better results with my Leica R glass when using the Nikon. YMMV, strictly a personal preference.

My thought is to also use this out West next time instead of my Leica kit. I’m going to do some side by side tests with the Monochrom and see how the prints compare.............

Vince,

I would love to see what you can do with the Z7 files, using sliders, color channels, etc, in LR, or PS, or C1, or anything else, to mimic the results, especially in terms of tonality, from the Leica Monochrom. Files from the Z7 sensor are so rich, I just know there's something wonderful in there somewhere;)

That's a PS action you could sell.

Just as a personal observation, which might apply to no one but myself, not flaming, but I replaced a Leica SL 601 with the Nikon Z7, and could not be happier, either with the obvious sensor upgrade, (which is not in any way a Sony sensor as others have surmised, but from Tower Jazz, fwiw) or the handling. And, I really liked the SL. Getting better results with my Leica R glass when using the Nikon. YMMV, strictly a personal preference.

One thing that I have noticed with the EVF on the Nikon is that it plays well with my polarized sunglasses. The Leica SL didn’t work with them in horizontal format, but verticals were okay. But we all know how often Leica users shoot verticals!

Just did another of Lee -- I am liking this camera!

It could be the processing, but the tones aren’t as good as the files you produce from your Leicas, especially in his skin. This was a problem I experienced with a lot of Nikon lenses produced from the 1970s-1990s when used with B&W film - many had a way of making pale skin look slightly darker toned than it is to the eye and without tonal variation that you might see with other lenses. Note I say “a lot of” not “all” as all the Nikon fans produce beautiful film B&W portraits.

If the camera is easily focused off centre and you can figure the processing, it may well be worth the switch. I love my Leica Ms, but they do not make anything easy.

Marty

It could be the processing, but the tones aren’t as good as the files you produce from your Leicas, especially in his skin. This was a problem I experienced with a lot of Nikon lenses produced from the 1970s-1990s when used with B&W film - many had a way of making pale skin look slightly darker toned than it is to the eye and without tonal variation that you might see with other lenses. Note I say “a lot of” not “all” as all the Nikon fans produce beautiful film B&W portraits.

If the camera is easily focused off centre and you can figure the processing, it may well be worth the switch. I love my Leica Ms, but they do not make anything easy.

Marty

Guess I’d have to make a print of one of these and hold up to Lee’s face to compare the tones :)

Being that these are only about the 5th and 6th photos I’ve taken with this camera, I’d say it’s early days (plus getting used to PhotoShop CC, which I only started using today). What I really would like to do is a side-by-side comparison of the Z7 and 246 and see the differences.

Nice shots Vince!

I tried my M lenses on my Z7, and found they worked much better on my M240.
The Z7 is fantastic with the Z lenses, or G lenses with the FTZ adapter.

One thing I noticed is when I adapt lenses the EVF does not represent the actual exposure which is very disappointing. I have it set correctly etc (believe me I checked, double checked, triple checked etc..), but the exposures come out way too dark if I go by the EVF. I have to go by the histogram in the EVF and push it to the right just before it clips.

Yes those Z lenses seem to get great reviews. I only have the 50mm at the moment, but wide open it is fantastic. One of the things that I appreciate about this camera is all the focus points (I think there are 493?), so I don't have to focus and recompose.
I have recently bought a Sony A7III Vince, and the main thing I appreciate is the ability to auto-track someone's eyes all over the frame without recomposing. It's like having my eyes back from when I was a 30-year-old using a good SLR screen. Except faster.
John Mc

I have recently bought a Sony A7III Vince, and the main thing I appreciate is the ability to auto-track someone's eyes all over the frame without recomposing. It's like having my eyes back from when I was a 30-year-old using a good SLR screen. Except faster.
John Mc

Yeah the Z7 does that as well -- amazing the things that they're adding to cameras.

Thank you very much Larry!
To my eyes the color looks excellent!
Z7 or a further iteration might well be my definitive camera for photo! It is said to be ergonomic and it has for me that Nikon character that I loved so much in my Nikon F.
Moreover, I have many F mount lenses both Zeiss and Nikkor
Not counting the possibility to adapt Leica R or Contax lenses!

Back