No school like the old school!

navilluspm

Well-known
Local time
1:32 AM
Hello everyone,

I just want to share my excitement. I am in the process of selling a Vario-Sonnar lens for my Contax to finance my new (to me) Beseler 23c II, darkroom odds and ends, and a lot of new paper and chemicals.

I have been scanning my negs (via a Minolta Scan Elite F-2900) for the past year, but I really don't like it. I do ok with photoshop, but I do not enjoy it. And my prints never look right - mainly because my Canon ip6600d is not meant for BW prints.

I was debating between getting a new printer or going old school and using an enlarger. I decided to get the enlarger. I remember way back in Junior High school using a real darkroom and how much fun I had. I am in front of a computer enough, and this will give me a break. My wife likes my pictures, but even she agreed that the BW prints from the Canon look a little off (they have a strange and subtle tint to them). She even is letting me use the main bathroom as a darkroom, as long as I clean up and put the enlarger away after every use.

The bonus is that I only paid $100 and got some other darkroom gear to boot. It came with three lenses, but since I only shoot 35mm film, the 50mm lens is what I looked at the most. It is a Beseler 50mm 2.8 color lens. Is that lens ok?

I ordered some AGFA MC 312 paper from Ultrafine, and Ilford MCIV paper from freestyle. I will be using Ilford developer and Fixer. I think I have everything at hand or on the way, and I can't wait to get back in the darkroom. I hope I remember everything. I am half way through reading Ansel Adam's "The Print" (I finished "The Negative" on Sunday, and spent most of Labor day reading all I could from "The Print" and other sources to get started as soon as possible.) I am excited and hope my learning curve is not too steep.

Long live Analog!!!:D

Well done,
I have the same enlarger and FWIW I enjoy the darkroom process much more than futzing around with a computer.

Welcome to the club and enjoy:)

Back