Noctilux: farewell to the king

But if you can afford it, and want to use it, what's the problem?

None at all. But the preponderance of at-home shots taken with this lens seems to indicate that most owners are scared to take the thing out in public. Hence, it's less-than-useful for its intended purpose.

...the simple truth is is unless you are comfortable using it, and are not too worried about the resale/replacement value, you can't really afford it. I know I can't

Me neither. Everyone has their comfort point, and this lens exceeds mine (in both cost and bulk.) Too many shelf-queens in the Leica catalog, so their "perfection" becomes a moot point.

None at all. But the preponderance of at-home shots taken with this lens seems to indicate that most owners are scared to take the thing out in public. Hence, it's less-than-useful for its intended purpose.

Me neither. Everyone has their comfort point, and this lens exceeds mine (in both cost and bulk.) Too many shelf-queens in the Leica catalog, so their "perfection" becomes a moot point.
Dear Kevin,

No argument on either point, except that there are always a few people who really do use them, at which point it is genuinely useful.

Cheers,

Roger

You're new here, Kevin has been knocking nocti's since Adam was a young boy, this was just yesterday: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58930
So what? Some bash Noctiluxes, some bash Leica, some bash FSU gear, some bash expensive gear, some bash cheap gear, some bash luddites, some bash progress, some bash Bush, some bash zooms, some bash digital. It's the Internet for God's sake. Everybody bashes something, especially as long as we don't have to talk about pictures. You probably bash something, too.

Posters who like something that is frequently bashed sometimes develop a rather charming defiantist attitude towards it where they invite more bashing. Ned has this with the Noctilux which he now proudly advertises in his signature and location field. I think it's funny; it makes the forum a little bit more colourful anyway.

Philipp

...there are always a few people who really do use them, at which point it is genuinely useful.

True. And our Ned is one of the rare shooters who not only actually uses the thing, but uses it to its strengths.

People are just silly, that's all. When this lens was affordable, it was no big deal; now that it's price has gone into orbit, it's become the holy grail of lenses. Most of us would be better served paying more attention to the craft of photography than obsessing about gear that won't make nearly as much difference in results as we imagine. :)

Funny what the Noctilux does to people. Makes them ... even economists.
:eek: I'm glad I've avoided one, then. I mean, how low can one go...

...Mike

(and, please, spare me the lawyers and politicians - I'll concede those points before you get started)

...but the simple truth is is unless you are comfortable using it, and are not too worried about the resale/replacement value, you can't really afford it...
Good advice Roger, though I even carry it somewhat further. My litmus test for deciding buying something:

I imagine holding a lens or camare at arms length above the pavement, then imagine dropping it. And if I can't do that without flinching an eye, I can't afford it..

I imagine holding a lens or camare at arms length above the pavement, then imagine dropping it. And if I can't do that without flinching an eye, I can't afford it..

My litmus test:

I imagine holding a lens or camare at arms length above the pavement, then imagine dropping it. My wife is standing next to me with the receipt for the item. And if I can't do that without losing an eye, I can't afford it..

Back