Nokton 35/1.4 wobble

Toni Nikkanen

Established
Local time
12:01 PM
Well, my 35/1.4 MC nokton has developed the famous wobble it seems. The front part of the lens moves slightly from the aperture ring upwards. And I'm pretty sure the front lens elements are moving, not just parts of the lens barrel. I guess it's time to take advantage of the 3-year warranty now, instead of trying to fix it myself (and make a mess of it while doing so.)

I'm a bit disappointed now though, would a Canada-made 35/1.4 Summilux hold together better? :)

Probably would, it says Leitz on it anyway ;-).

Seriously, I've been reading about these wobbles a couple times, concerning ZM and VC lenses. Maybe Cosina has had some problems (shouldnt they know how to use some kind of glue for the screws?).
Still I didnt worry about it and so far have got quite good results with a slightly wobbly Ultron and a tiny bit more wobbly Summicron V3.

my second hand 2.5/35 skopar just turned pretty 'wobbly' all of a sudden yesterday. it frustrates me a bit, but I think this can happen with random lenses. does someone know if youxin fixes this kind of stuff?

There are some threads here also, telling how to fix the problem yourself with for example Ultron 35/1.7.

Never tried it personally though. But I think it should be fairly simple.

my second hand 2.5/35 skopar just turned pretty 'wobbly' all of a sudden yesterday. it frustrates me a bit, but I think this can happen with random lenses. does someone know if youxin fixes this kind of stuff?
Simon, the optical block of the skopar is held into the focus mount the "classical way". The optics go through the focus mount and are locked by a slotted ring.
Have a look at the back of your lens: if the ring is woobly, "all" is needed is to tighten it up. Careful though, it should be done with care, a deep breath and ...a spanner wrench .

Just sell it somewhere as "minty" and try some others. Seems to be what everyone else does with bad CVs. With L-lenses and even older Canons and M-Hexanons, there is an expectation that anything that is not perfect about the lens is disclosed. Somehow, often not the case with CVs/Zeiss (Cosina made), IMHO.

Nah, I'll try the warranty route first - if I get a brand new unwobbly one, I can sell honestly sell that one as "mint" (=meaning it came out of a place where they stamp coins, wtf? :)

Back