Nokton 35mm f1.4 ... SC or MC?

As much as refering to the Nokton as a dog is a little extreme that's Patrick's opinion and he's entitled to it ... no one has to agree! In the time this lens has been available there's been reports of strange flaring, back focus, unusual OOF areas depending on the background and barrel distortion. It may not be a dog but it does have a few fleas! :D

If I could get a lens that performs like my late serial 35mm f2 Zuiko in M mount I'd be content .... and that was a lot less than a new Nokton! I'm also reminded of how good my ZF Distagon is in 35mm ... no quirks in that lens either!

As much as refering to the Nokton as a dog is a little extreme that's Patrick's opinion and he's entitled to it ... no one has to agree!
It may not be a dog but it does have a few fleas! :D

If I could get a lens that performs like my late serial 35mm f2 Zuiko in M mount I'd be content .... and that was a lot less than a new Nokton! I'm also reminded of how good my ZF Distagon is in 35mm ... no quirks in that lens either!

I Certainly AGREE , One has a right to express One's Opinion...
but Dog is a tad Extreme

I think 'Glass' today is far superior to Most People's shooting capabilities :p
there also tends to be a Touch of Vanity with Gear and unfortunately Voigtlander
in a lot of Eyes is considered sub quality :eek:

Keith: looked at some of your recent posts with the Zuiko glass...Wonderfully Crisp, Beautifully Sharp
Me thinks probably an f2 lens is more what YOU want and You can shoot that at Night easily ...I do with crons

Nough said ...Best to All :D

Had a fair bit of distortion in my ZE copy though!

That's weird ... you'd have to wonder how much variation there is from lens to lens.

In the QUT gallery everything is big squares and lots of straight lines ... never had to apply any correction. I did when I was using the 1.2 Nokton on the M8 in there!

That's weird ... you'd have to wonder how much variation there is from lens to lens.

In the QUT gallery everything is big squares and lots of straight lines ... never had to apply any correction. I did when I was using the 1.2 Nokton on the M8 in there!

I'm embarrassed to say I did a brick wall test when I first got it. Never showed in the real world though, as with most flaws in lenses.

It may not be a dog but it does have a few fleas!

Character! That's what makes it unique. Flawless optical and mechanical performance is .. boring. Like the Toyota that takes me to work. It's there, it works, I use it, I put it away, I appreciate that it's reliable but I don't think about it.

Oh hey Patrick Hello
I have no ill feelings towards YOU... nor am I Arguing :)
I only question your term 'Dog' for a lens which seems rather an awkward word & extreme in perception
You Certainly do have a right to your opinion

as for a lens I think the only way One will know is to TRY IT...
I know I have had misconceptions about things
and learn through Trial & Error...in particular with Glass

Yes the summaron is Grand but I find almost EVERY Lens I have shot with is...each lens has its Strengths & Weaknesses
its just whether or Not You want to work with it and learn how to maneveur

i was NOT calling YOU per se a lens snob but using that in terms of a general perception one sees on threads

as for the Lux I must AGREE ...have had Both...a Love ?Hate relationship when using wide open

had both summarons 2.8 & 3.5 ...great lenses...nothing really to complain about except maybe 3.5 at night and the old aperture ring that you have a hard time turning its so TINY... who can complain about the 2.8 probably crisper and more beautiful than the pre asph cron though I am NOT sure its for Keith ...a tad too slow for his indoor needs...probably f2 is the if not more open

as for posting more shots of the nokton I have only a few since I have been bouncing between that & the ver5 cron and a Contax T2
oh well... Best to YOU Patrick - H

Patrick I genuinely wasn't trying to be inflammatory, I was just interested as to wether your comments on the lens were based on personal use, or from internet research/what you've seen.

Hey Keith

I see you have set your mind on a Biogon.
I think it's a great choice (I mean, trading off one stop to get a really good lens).
I was in your shoes a couple of years ago, and I bought a Konica Hexanon-M.
These are getting pricey, but they are still an option out there (there was one in the classified not too long ago).
The only drawbacks I know of this lens is that they are big, and although I'm 100% film, I would guess the Biogon would less likely have focus issues on digital.
If you really want small, and maybe sacrifice a bit of sheer sharpness, the summicron ver 3 could also be an option, but we are talking doubling (tripling from the Nokton?) your budget.

Good luck finding your lens, and Good day down there :)

Hey Keith

I see you have set your mind on a Biogon.
I think it's a great choice (I mean, trading off one stop to get a really good lens).
I was in your shoes a couple of years ago, and I bought a Konica Hexanon-M.
These are getting pricey, but they are still an option out there (there was one in the classified not too long ago).
The only drawbacks I know of this lens is that they are big, and although I'm 100% film, I would guess the Biogon would less likely have focus issues on digital.
If you really want small, and maybe sacrifice a bit of sheer sharpness, the summicron ver 3 could also be an option, but we are talking doubling (tripling from the Nokton?) your budget.

Good luck finding your lens, and Good day down there :)

Cheers Michael,

When I had the Hexanon M I wasn't really much of a 35mm shooter, now it's become my favourite focal length. I sold it here for around $650.00 from memory! :bang:

I think the Biogon is the logical choice for me ... definitely more managable on the M2 (and the RD-1) than the Nokton 1.2 and I have a Zeiss 25mm f2.8 in M mount so along with my C Sonnar I got from jonmanjiro it will be an all Zeiss affair for rangefinder shooting.

. . . . . no experience with the 35 1.4 Nokton but do have the 40/1.4 SC Nokton and find it to be a wonderful lens, a lot of value for the price.

4848743012_342bc150a7_z.jpg

Back