Nokton or Zeiss 50 mm for Bessa R4a

Local time
2:24 PM
I need to buy a 50 mm lens for my new Bessa R4a. Now, I use a Color-Skopar 25 mm f/4 P and I'm planning to buy a standard lens.

Which one: Zeiss Normal 50mm f/1.5 C Sonnar T* or this one Nokton 50mm f/1.1

Please help me!

Wont the framelines for a 50 on an r4a be a bit small?

Regardless, from what I have garnered here on the forum, the Nokton 1.1 is probably better suited as an everyday lens and the Zeiss 50/1.5 is more of a specialty lens - so take that into consideration. I have not used either lens.

If you want to see photos with each lens, I believe there is a thread for each (check with the search tool) here on the forum, and there is of course the flickr m-mount group which has quite a few photos.

The Zeiss is a fine everyday lens, not a specialty lens. It has a unique signature, so that is a good thing IMHO.

You may have a problem focusing fast lens like 50/1.1 wide open with low mag VF of R4A. I'd go for a f2 lens for that camera.

Well - I have no personal experience, but based on what I have read here - lenses like the one you consider are fast and to focus them wide open and close you juice the ability of the camera (long RF base) and your experience. The R4A is not the most suitable camera for this task I guess - apart from rather small frame in the viewfinder, you get rather short effective RF base. Maybe you have a lot of exercise , but if you don't you better try this before you buy ...

might be difficult to focus either of these 50s due to the short EBL of the R4 (finder magnification X baseline of rangefinder). Probably OK if you shoot at f2.8 or higher, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a 1.1 or 1.5 lens

I'll add my voice to those who think the R4/R4A doesn't have a long enough EBL to focus a fast 50. I've found fast 50s marginal with the other Bessas, too, except the T.

Cheers,

R.

I would go for a 50 f2 as well, or even the small 50 2.8 elmar-M. I would not fancy focusing the 50 1.1 on a R4.

If you enjoy the 25, have you considered a 35 as a 'standard'. Everyone differs, but I find most of my work being done between 28 and 35 lenses, so 25-35 is an even better spread.

If you want a tiny, decent 35mm (and can deal with f2.5) to go with you 25 Skopar, look no further than the 35mm CV skopar (LTM) or the pancake 2 (M Mount). Do not underestimate the performance based on price. It vignettes a little wider open, but otherwise performs very well indeed. It will also be a nice contrast match for the 25 in my experience of the 21P. the 35 pancake handles the same as your 25 too.

For a 50mm, a higher mag finder would make things a bit more pleasant (I dont like 50mm much on my 0.58).

Agree with Roger and Krosya. If you get the superb Nokton f/1.1, you'll get the best of it using another body. Bessa-Ts are very well made, have a low price, have TTL metering, and you can check exposure without taking the camara to your eye... And you could use, comfortably, your wide angle on it too, shooting without framing or focusing...

Another option for normal is the Nokton 40mm f/1.4, which I use on my R4M... It's a great modern lens.

Cheers,

Juan

i was reading camera magazine (a japanese film magazine) and they had some nice sharp albeit small samples of the 50/1.1. funny enough i looked at the captions more carefully and they were all taken at with an R4M. it certainly is doable.

It is of course possible to use a 50, even a fast one, on a R4M/A. The finder frames are small and, yes, focussing at f1.1 or f1.5 needs care and attention - but no more than with any other magnification. With a "razor" thin depth of field of a fast lens - you always have to check and double check.
Which one is best for you - very much depends on what you are shooting and how often you are looking at "ragged edge" low light shots.
The C Sonnar 50f1.5 is one of my favorite 50's for black/white - it has a look to it that is very pleasing, lush shadows and "cream" highlights.
The 50f1.1 is stunning, a super speed lens that is affordable and will give you sharp images wide open - without sacrificing performance while stopped down. However, i find it a bit big on the R4's - the size of the lens versus the size of the Rf patch is a bit disproportionate.
If you are mainly shooting in decent light, with the occasional foray into the dark side - also consider the Planar 50f2 from Zeiss - best 50mm f2.0 around at the moment. The 50f2.5 Color Skopar matches the size of the R4 well and with the 25/4 gives you a nice "pocket" kit - and really no loss of image quality.

My Nokton 50/1.5 is a challenge to focus wide open on my R4M. Not impossible, though. It's also not small and not light.

Back