Illinois November 19: any interesting photography-related things happening in Chicago?

sleepyhead

Well-known
Local time
6:57 AM
Hello All

I will be in Chicago super briefly on a business trip, and have some hours free on Saturday the 19th of November.

Anyone know of any exhibitions, lectures, camera fairs, etc. going on in the downtown Chicago area that day?

How about other Art?

Unfortunately, I will be without a car and am therefore limited to the downtown area, or place easily reachable by public transport/taxi.

How about good camera shops for the rangefinder/analog camera lover?

THANKS IN ADVANCE for your help!

Central Cameras on Wabash, not too far from the Art Institute, is like a paradise in terms to stock. Prices are a bit on the high side, but they're very patient and nice. The area on which they are has a gritty look but it's only one block away from Michigan Boulevard, and probably two or three blocks from the Millenium Park (which, if the weather is nice, will lend itself to some nifty people shots).

Let's see who else can chime in. Those are the places I like hitting...

I second both the Art Institute and Central Camera. As Francisco said, they are pricey, but certainly worth a look. As far as streets go, I'd recommend walking down Wells, which is ( IMO ) the nicest street in the Loop ( downtown ). It has a lot of older buildings ( older for the US, as in early 20th century ) with some character. It might be nice to take a walk along the river, and State Street is always fun ( much better than Michigan Ave, which I try to avoid at all costs - way too crowded and uninteresting ). It's supposed to be a nice day tomorrow - warm but windy. Have fun.

Thanks, it was a pleasant day indeed.
I think that the little I've seen of Chicago is very impressive, and there is a vibe of confidence and friendliness on the streets.
I only went to Central Camera and then wandered about that area.
Bought some film!
They had a a tiny but sturdy tripod ball head that perhaps I should have bought as well.
The staff were some knowledgable and talkative "geezers" by and large.
Today I fly home!

Back