Australia/New Zealand NSW coast forecast 6+m swells this weekend 04-05 June

lynnb

Mentor
Local time
2:35 AM
A heads up for anyone interested in dramatic oceanscape/wave photos along the NSW coast this weekend - but please take care and don't turn your back on the ocean! Forecast is for 6m swells with 10m+ swells offshore. The Manly Ferry should be quite exciting :eek:

Wave map.

This is what a similar storm looked like 2 years ago (Sydney coast):
U27021I1340547476.SEQ.0.jpg

U27021I1340533431.SEQ.0.jpg

Not sure about the southside Nick, but on the northside:
Freshwater point
Dee Why point, and Dee Why headland (lookout at end of Molong St, take path)
Long Reef
North Narrabeen
Warriewood/Mona Vale headland park
I'm guessing Newport would also be good.

For a big picture, Edgecliffe Blvd (north end) on Collaroy Plateau might be good.

Edit: on the southside, there's that cliff path from Bondi to Maroubra? You might check Google satellite view.

The surfers up here (Byron Bay) are getting very exited. If the rain eases up I'll head down to the beach later to watch the action, although tomorrow might be a better day for surfing.

cheers,
clay

Not sure about the southside Nick, but on the northside:
Freshwater point
Dee Why point, and Dee Why headland (lookout at end of Molong St, take path)
Long Reef
North Narrabeen
Warriewood/Mona Vale headland park
I'm guessing Newport would also be good.

For a big picture, Edgecliffe Blvd (north end) on Collaroy Plateau might be good.

Edit: on the southside, there's that cliff path from Bondi to Maroubra? You might check Google satellite view.

Thanks for the suggestion. I reckon I might check out the cliffs between Bondi and Tama.

Sound advice about never turning your back on the ocean. I have been slammed down by unexpected waves a few times when I forgot this, and I was lucky because some people have been swept out to sea and never came back.

We're just entering hurricane season here in Florida right now.

I made it to the point at Freshwater at noon today.. it was wild! Gale force winds, horizontal rain and salt spray, large and choppy 4m waves.. too dangerous to approach the rock platform but the experience from the headland lookout was excitement enough. I left the cameras in the car. Could have done with an X-U (Typ 113)!

There was a guy at the lookout with a Nikon DSLR (looked D810 size) and long lens on a cheap-looking tripod. The camera and lens were wrapped in some sort of neoprene jacket but it looked like it was not up to the task. While I watched a gust blew camera and tripod over, luckily it landed on him while he was stooping and he managed to catch it before it hit the mud. His tripod didn't have a hook for what looked like a heavy camera bag sitting underneath.

It was difficult to stand still or walk in a straight line with the winds. Quite an experience.

If things calm down later today I'll go back for another look, around 3-4pm when the light might be better.

I made it to the point at Freshwater at noon today.. it was wild! Gale force winds, horizontal rain and salt spray, large and choppy 4m waves.. too dangerous to approach the rock platform but the experience from the headland lookout was excitement enough. I left the cameras in the car. Could have done with an X-U (Typ 113)!

There was a guy at the lookout with a Nikon DSLR (looked D810 size) and long lens on a cheap-looking tripod. The camera and lens were wrapped in some sort of neoprene jacket but it looked like it was not up to the task. While I watched a gust blew camera and tripod over, luckily it landed on him while he was stooping and he managed to catch it before it hit the mud. His tripod didn't have a hook for what looked like a heavy camera bag sitting underneath.

It was difficult to stand still or walk in a straight line with the winds. Quite an experience.

If things calm down later today I'll go back for another look, around 3-4pm when the light might be better.
I was going to go to the coast to have a look at it, but changed my mind just to look out of my Manly Vale house. It is a wild weather OK.

Yesterday was the worst day up here (Northern Rivers) but it blew through last night and today was quite pleasant. Went for a walk down to the local beach, still very rough and virtually no beach as the tide was high. The road to our house is cut by floodwater so we'll have to ride along the beach to Byron bay or Brunswick Heads to get the bread and milk :).

cheers,
clay

I made it down to Maroubra yesterday and it was a struggle to get the camera up to my face! But I did manage to get half a roll of something. Not a single surfer out which shows how wild it was.

Tried the cbd this afternoon and the wind tunnel effect was wild, fierce gusts and heavy rain. Even worse than Saturday. It's finally blown through now, Sunday evening, and I'm scanning the Maroubra stuff to see what I got.

Good luck stocking up Clay.

Back