Ny times photog arrested

The court hearing is scheduled for November !
By then no one will even remember or care about this event.
We will also be buried in the election BS flooding the media.
Police get away with bad behavior 99,9% of the time, which is why they still do bad things.
(If they were doing things correctly, they would welcome photographers and videographers.)

Police get away with bad behavior 99,9% of the time, which is why they still do bad things.

Every job has bad people...

(If they were doing things correctly, they would welcome photographers and videographers.)

Really? Would you do the same at your job and maintain composure at all times? Don't you think it could be annoying to be photographed and videotaped while you are trying to get something done?

I'm not exactly sympathetic to cops, but not all photographers are good people either.

Every job has bad people...

Really? Would you do the same at your job and maintain composure at all times? Don't you think it could be annoying to be photographed and videotaped while you are trying to get something done?

I'm not exactly sympathetic to cops, but not all photographers are good people either.

If one is doing the job CORRECTLY according to the book, then you have no reason to react this way, no matter how the one reporting/documenting the issue/event/happening.

. . . .
. . . .

No, I absolutely hate people looking over my shoulder while I'm working, or questioning how I do my job. I hate it! I've thrown people out my office for sniffing around like that.

And the police have every right to be annoyed at being photographed. Okay. But . . . have six cops take him down ? cuff him ? and arrest him? I don't think that you agree with that behavior any more than I do. If he deliberately hit a policeman, then they should nail him to the wall. But I seriously doubt that happened.

No, I absolutely hate people looking over my shoulder while I'm working, or questioning how I do my job. I hate it! I've thrown people out my office for sniffing around like that.

I can absolutely understand that, and did the same. Can't stand people looking over my shoulder while working (sometimes it's okay, most times not), but...

And the police have every right to be annoyed at being photographed.

...I'm not working in public like the police does. If someone does work in public, and would show the same behavior, I would say, he has the wrong job. So for the second point, I do not agree.

And the police have every right to be annoyed at being photographed. Okay. But . . . have six cops take him down ? cuff him ? and arrest him? I don't think that you agree with that behavior any more than I do. If he deliberately hit a policeman, then they should nail him to the wall. But I seriously doubt that happened.

Try working on a cruise ship or ferry with 2000-3500 passengers 24/7/365, i can tell you theres a lot of cameras around all the time, think an emergency or something happening, a fight, an injury or bomb threat, or technical malfunction or human fault or security issues. There might be 1000 people around watching. You must be good at the task ahead and forget the cameras. The people that know they do mistakes and get **** for it thru it being documented always gets nasty about it, this is from experiance.

If one is doing the job CORRECTLY according to the book, then you have no reason to react this way, no matter how the one reporting/documenting the issue/event/happening.

This is simply not true for everyone. Glad you feel comfortable, but I don't. And it isn't because I'm doing anything wrong.

I'll report an incident that happened many decades ago by the Nassau County Police on Long Island that I personally experienced/witnessed one 4th of July. Perhaps it was 1977.

It was an unusual 4th of July because it was not humid and was a perfect day for young people to gather in Eisenhower Park right across from the Nassau Coliseum to wait through the pleasant day for the evening fireworks. People brought coolers to have picnicks and the grass resembled the beach covered with blankets, while every once in a while an errant frisby came my way and I would get a turn.

It was near dusk when I went to the bathroom next to the bandshell. When I entered I saw a drunk throw a beer bottle into the bandshell and because of the good acoustics the breaking of glass made a loud pop. By the time I got out of the bathroom several drunks had assembled bags filled with bottles to be used as ammo as others threw the bottles into the bandshell, but now the breaking glass sounded like machine guns.

Along a perimeter a line of police formed in full riot gear in the distance as I walked back towards my friends. A young couple in love publically sharing their bliss holding hands walked towards me when I hear this terrible sound: the sound of someone's skull getting cracked with a night stick. The boy collapsed to the ground face first having been struck from behind. The girl knelt over her boyfriend and then I heard that aweful sound again. The girl's head laid peacefully on top of her boyfriend's chest as if she were sleeping, and I would be next.

All the cop had to do was take one step forward and he would be within striking range and be able to hit me, but we stood apart looking at each other. He was surprised that I saw his brutality, and I stood there waiting partially because I was scared, but also because I was judging him. The cop pointed with his weapon and told me to walk, but I was too scared to obey knowing that I could not trust him. Possibly he realized what he just did was wrong. Maybe he really wasn't that mean and didn't want to strike me in the face. Maybe it was hard for him to hit an innocent bystander when they are looking you directly in the eye, but I'm convinced that my actions acually saved me and broke his stride.

He ordered me to walk, I told him that my friends and their car were behind him, but he said "Go that way and exit the park." I turned and did what he said and somehow escaped unharmed. I had no money so I ended up hitch hiking a ride towards home, yet I remained in a state of shock, but now I have had the time to process this event.

I cannot justify this policeman's actions, but I do realize that he was given the job to quickly establish authority under the situation of a riot. Also know that in this situation the police were vastly outnumbered and if things esculated further the situation would of worsened. Its not an easy job, cops are human so there's good and bad, yet there is abuse of authority and innocent people get hurt again and again.

Cal

Back