NYT: Why a generation in Japan is facing a lonely death

maigo

Well-known
Local time
2:07 PM
This poignant article profiles two elderly persons who have divergent ways of responding to the end of their lives.
They both live in Tokiwadaira danchi (apartment complex) outside Tokyo.

One is energetic in archiving her family photos, documenting in volumes written and photographic story of the apartment complex and has written a separate autobiography of her modest life.
She has no living relatives that are interested in caring for her and when she is gone the written and image artifacts she has created will likely be incinerated.
The other is a regretful old man who clings the only lingering symbol of what he feels is his one success in life. He lives in squalor and seldom goes out. He too has no contact with remaining relatives.

After reading the story I had thoughts again about who I create my images for, what they mean to me and others and do they matter when I am gone.

The other thoughts I had were about the sources of the cameras in Japan that we buy from the auction sites.
Some of them undoubtably come from the estate of elderly persons who passed away in isolation.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/world/asia/japan-lonely-deaths-the-end.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Peter said, a powerful story. Very sad to think that one's stories (and photographs) will never be read or seen, if only to bring entertainment or knowledge to younger generations. No opportunity to "pass it forward".

Thanks for the link.

Thank you for posting and bringing up the topic.
I got enough out of your words to think about this; being an overly sensitive old guy, I won't read the article itself. But the topic will linger all day.
Not all stories end happily.

Thanks for the post. My kids are always amazed at the number of photos I have of them and their kids. But I'm afraid of the incinerator too.

Back